Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C

I am planning on purchasing a   NI 6229 USB OEM DAQ card.  Is there any way that I can use this to conduct I2C communication without having to use the USB 8451 I2C/SPI interface?  If so, are there any built in VI that handle I2C communication?

Thank you,

Aaron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,296 Views)

Hello Aaron,

While the NI 6229 meets the hardware requirements for I2C communication there is not a software interface developed for the I2C protocol using an M Series device.  You could spend the time to develop the necessary software for the NI 6229, but given the low cost of the USB 8451 I think the development time required to use the NI 6229 for this purpose would be far greater.  Unless you have other restrictions in your setup that require using the 6229 rather than the USB 8451 I would recommend getting both.  If you do have extra requirements for your system that keep you from being able to use the USB 8451 then please post back with more details about your situation and we'll see if we can come up with a better solution.

Cheers,

Brooks
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,272 Views)

Hi Brroks,

Can some body work on the implementation of I2C/SPI over the M-Series card as most of the engineers still need to use the

other DAQ features like Analog io,Digital IO etc along with I2C/SPI .

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,030 Views)

JeyZ,

Thank you for posting on the NI Forums. As of right now we have no plans to implement the I2C protocol with our M-Series devices. As the previous posts mentioned we have the USB-8451 that would be capable of performing the I2C protocol and this with a M-Series device could give you the desired functionality. If you would like to submit a product suggestion such as a M-Series with I2C I would recommend submitting a product suggestion on our website. We take a look at these suggestions for possible products in the future. 

The Product Feedback is in the bottom left of this page. Contact NI

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,013 Views)

JeyZ,

I also wanted to pass along these links that were on another post.

Someone asked about using the IDW library with a DAQ device over in that thread.  Here was David S. response to him:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=Components&message.id=106#M106

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,009 Views)