Digital I/O

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Daq cDAQ maximum PWM outputs? PWM output module availability?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello.  Is the cDAQ limited to 4 hardware PWM outputs?  I realize that there are 4 counters available on cDAQ chassis and these can be accessed with a digital I/O module.  I am currently using a NI-9401 to access the chassis counters to generate 4 hardware PWM outputs.  I would like to add a 5th...  Is there a cDAQ module that can accommodate hardware/PWM output?  Thanks.  Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,289 Views)

Hey Dan,

Thanks for reaching out. As long as the individual module has the appropriate hardware, you should be able to do more PWM tasks. The 9401 does not have counters, so you would be using the cDAQ's counters. If you have modules with on-board counters, you can do more.

Which cDAQ do you have? Is it one-slot only? If so, you may be limited to just the 4 PWM tasks.

Let us know! Thanks!

Timothy D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,249 Views)

Tim:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  The cDAQ chassis we are using is the cDAQ-9178 (8 slot) and as I understand, this chassis has four counters.  I have already implemented 4 hardware PWM outputs using the chassis counters that are routed through the NI-9401.  I would like to add a 5th PWM.  I have looked for a cDAQ module with counters that can be used as outputs but did not see one.  Am I missing something?  I found the NI-9361 that has counters but it looked like these were only available for input.  Curious what you you might suggest.  Thanks.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,241 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author audiog33k

Hey Dan,

I was mistaken, so sorry! The 9361 is the only option to extend the number of counters accessible on a single cDAQ, but you are correct in that they are input only. So sorry for the misinformation. I'll see if I can change the previous post.

I consulted with some colleagues and it seems the only way to do 5 or more PWM tasks is to use multiple cDAQs.

Thanks!

Timothy D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,208 Views)

Tim:

Thanks for prompt answer.  That is what I suspected, 4 hardware PWM outputs is limit for cDAQ -9178.  Now there is a new product idea for NI, manufacture a PWM output capable module to extend the number of PWM outputs [grin].

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,199 Views)