Developer Center Resources

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI Package Manager: Adding a License Agreement

Overview

In the previous VIPM tutorials, we have covered how to create a package, how to create a palette, and how to add examples, help files, and tools menu items to our package with VI Package Manager.  Now that we have this package ready, we want to add an end-user license agreement (EULA) to our package that users must accept before installing.

Description

License agreements are used for both paid and free software. VIPM enables you to reference a common license, like the BSD license, or include your own custom license. We are going to choose a custom license file that is saved as a plain text (.txt) file on disk.  

Open the Package Builder if not already open.

Image 020.jpg

Select the Display Information category.

There are two package options that concern licensing:

Image 021.jpg

• License Agreement Name – Here you can enter the name of your software license agreement, for example, “NI SLA, “BSD,” or “MIT.”
  • License Agreement Text File Location – Here you can include your License Agreement as a plain text file (.txt). This will be displayed to the user before they complete the installation of your package.
    • Click the browse button to the right of License Agreement Text File Location.
    • Select C:\VIPM Hands On\Build an Add-on\Simple Math\_EULA\ Example EULA.txt
    • Press Select.

After completing the two License Agreement fields, build the package by clicking Build Package.

After the build finishes, click Open Package in VIPM Main Window.

Image 022.jpg

Click Install.

Image 023.jpg

Click Continue.

VIPM now displays the Sample EULA we uploaded before the build. Click Yes, I accept…

Image 024.jpg

VIPM now installs the package as normal.

Next Steps

Click here to go back to the table of contents, or continue to learn about custom installation options in VIPM.

Comments
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

I like that I can add a license to my distributed packages, but I'd love if VIPM supported the Rich Text File format - the quasi-standard for license files: http://ideas.jki.net/topic/117713-license-files-in-rtf-format/

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
jgcode
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Is this feature of the Professional version in VIPM 2012?

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
David_L
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Jonathon - The License Agreement feature is part of VIPM Free Edition.  It's probably just easily overlooked because it's tucked in with all the other fields on the Display Information tab.

Contributors