DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Messaging or Self Request and Helper Loops

Hi all,

1. During my work in DQMH projects I found my self again and again asking the following question:

Let's assume that I send a request from module A (the CML UI for example) to module B, and then I need module B to do a second task after the first one ends. The question is what from the following options is the reccomended one for doing this:

a. Self mesaging - the "traditional" way (until I start with DQMH I used this a lot. I know that for repeatedly task the preffered way is using a helper loop but when it is not a repeatedly task I am not sure if this option is OK or not).

b. A Broadcast of module B and then a second request from module A to module B - it will work but maybe it's too complicated.

c.  A request from module B to itself after the first task ends (Self request) 

2. A second question is about helper loops:

When I have a repeatedly task that is a quering of a HW (for example - a position of a motion control). Is it OK to insert a while loop into the timeout event? If I do so, the event structure of the helper loop is busy every iteration until the loop ends. is there another way to do it?\

Thank you,

Roey

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,002 Views)

@Roey wrote:

Hi all,

1. During my work in DQMH projects I found my self again and again asking the following question:

Let's assume that I send a request from module A (the CML UI for example) to module B, and then I need module B to do a second task after the first one ends. The question is what from the following options is the reccomended one for doing this:

a. Self mesaging - the "traditional" way (until I start with DQMH I used this a lot. I know that for repeatedly task the preffered way is using a helper loop but when it is not a repeatedly task I am not sure if this option is OK or not).

b. A Broadcast of module B and then a second request from module A to module B - it will work but maybe it's too complicated.

c.  A request from module B to itself after the first task ends (Self request) 

Combine the first "task" with the second "task" into one MHL case - so that one happens after the other. That's what I would look to do.  If necessary, you could create a mini state machine sub VI that runs inside the MHL case that does task one, followed by task two.

2. A second question is about helper loops:

When I have a repeatedly task that is a quering of a HW (for example - a position of a motion control). Is it OK to insert a while loop into the timeout event? If I do so, the event structure of the helper loop is busy every iteration until the loop ends. is there another way to do it?

What is the while loop doing?

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(985 Views)

1.I will explain myself..

Let's assume that the two tasks have to be at two separate cases in the MHL (for example, they are not always occur together), so I do have 2 requests for each of them. Now the question is whether or not I should request from the first task to the 2nd task (and if so should I do it from the CML UI (option b) or from the module itself (option c)) or maybe I should message the 2nd case without a request (option a). I hope now it is more understandable

2. The helper loop queries a motion control for its position (inside a while loop) and send a request to another module every defined interval (and then continues to query). 

Roey

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(967 Views)

Let's assume that the two tasks have to be at two separate cases in the MHL (for example, they are not always occur together), so I do have 2 requests for each of them. Now the question is whether or not I should request from the first task to the 2nd task (and if so should I do it from the CML UI (option b) or from the module itself (option c)) or maybe I should message the 2nd case without a request (option a). I hope now it is more understandable

I would create a sub VI for task one and a sub VI for task two.  Then you can have a MHL case to perform task one and a MHL case to perform task two, and you can also have a MHL case that performs task one and two together.

Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

Message 4 of 4
(932 Views)