From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Review of My Experience

Howdy,

This post is aimed mainly at Fab, but thought I'd also share with others...

Just finished another project using DQMH and thought I'd quickly go over the things that I seemed to spend a lot of time doing...

1 - Resizing the main loops/structures of each new module, was this designed on an iPhone?

2 - Deleting the little notes left by the scripting (put this here, do this, those notes)

3 - Selecting the module I want to create an event in, even though I selected the "create event" item from within that module

4 - Creating "request and wait for reply" events that all have the same payloads, almost all the events had a string as request and 2D Array as reply. Could there be a "create multiple" option?

5 - In the API Tester BD moving the created BOOL out of the top corner and moving the label to be back with the icon

6 - In the newly created event case, moving the items around to make it a bit neater. This is probably linked to No. 1.

Only small things I admit, but I did seem to spend a lot of time doing these, at least enough time for me to notice that I was doing it repeatedly. 

Anyhoo, overall very impressed by DQMH and will probably be using it for many projects.

Cheers,

Darren.

Message 1 of 5
(3,189 Views)

Hi Darren,

Only small things I admit, but I did seem to spend a lot of time doing these, at least enough time for me to notice that I was doing it repeatedly. 

I know it takes a lot to impress you. I am pleased to see that these are the only items that bugged you. We are always looking for ways to improve and we understand that it is the little things that we notice when we are programming that can make a huge difference in our day. 

Thanks for the feedback. I will create some new cases on our end to address some of the issues you brought up and I have some suggestions for your next project. Let me answer in line with your comments.

1 - Resizing the main loops/structures of each new module

One option is to create your own DQMH templates with the frames the way you like them. You can take the DQMH Singleton that ships with DQMH, make your changes and go to Tools>>Delacor>>DQMH>>Module>>Create DQMH Module Template...

You can now save your new module with the changes. Next time you create a DQMH Template, you could choose your new DarrenSuperDuperSingletonDQMH instead of the regular Singleton. More details at https://delacor.com/documentation/dqmh-html/AddingaNewDQMHModulefromaCustomT.html

2 - Deleting the little notes left by the scripting (put this here, do this, those notes)

We know you are perfect and you will never forget what is it that you were supposed to do at each step, that is not the case for everyone else ;). I like checklists, and this is just a quick checklist of all the things I need to do. Once I am done doing them, I remove the comment label. In any case, I have created a new feature request (DQMHWL-41) to look into creating an ini token to be able to remove those notes if you don't want them. Feel free to add the feature request to https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/ta-p/3537845

If it gets lots of Kudos, we will prioritize this for the next release.

3 - Selecting the module I want to create an event in, even though I selected the "create event" item from within that module

My suggestion is to use the Zuehlke Project explorer menu for DQMH. You can then right-click on the module on the project explorer and create the event from there. Zuehlke tool is available at  https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Discussions/Zuehlke-Project-explorer-menu-for-DQMH/m-p/380...

4 - Creating "request and wait for reply" events that all have the same payloads, almost all the events had a string as request and 2D Array as reply. Could there be a "create multiple" option?

My suggestion here is to create the common typedef you will use in multiple events. Then on the arguments window, you can use QuickDrop to call that common typedef. If you still want the "create multiple" option, add it to the feature requests at https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/ta-p/3537845

BTW, this is why the Arguments window is not a running window, so you can use QuickDrop on it.

5 - In the API Tester BD moving the created BOOL out of the top corner and moving the label to be back with the icon

I tried to reproduce that issue and it is not happening to me, the created boolean is right where I expect it to be. Can you share with us a picture of what you are seeing on your end?

6 - In the newly created event case, moving the items around to make it a bit neater. This is probably linked to No. 1.

Unfortunately, scripting generated code is not the neatest. We have found some ways to make it neater and we will including those in the next release. In the meantime, just think that you only have to move things around in the event, if you didn't have DQMH, you would have had to: create the typedef argument, create the event in the event creation VI, create the wrapper VI for generating the event, add the event case, add the code for that, don't forget to add the destruction of the event, enqueue the MHL case, add the case to the case structure, make sure to remember to add the documentation,... I think I am fine with having to move some things around, thank you 😉

Anyhoo, overall very impressed by DQMH and will probably be using it for many projects.

Thanks again for your trust in DQMH and us. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy that you are happy enough with DQMH to use it in future projects.

Best regards,

Fab

PS: The DQMH toolkit has an extremely generous guarantee: If at any time you are not 100% satisfied with it, contact us and we will gladly issue a full refund of the price you paid 🙂

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 2 of 5
(3,164 Views)

Never used the "quote" thingy before so this may go a bit wrong...

1 - Resizing the main loops/structures of each new module

One option is to create your own DQMH templates with the frames the way you like them. You can take the DQMH Singleton that ships with DQMH, make your changes and go to Tools>>Delacor>>DQMH>>Module>>Create DQMH Module Template...

You can now save your new module with the changes. Next time you create a DQMH Template, you could choose your new DarrenSuperDuperSingletonDQMH instead of the regular Singleton. More details at https://delacor.com/documentation/dqmh-html/AddingaNewDQMHModulefromaCustomT.html

That sounds like a good solution, that way I can make it fit my screens(s) and add the few bits and bobs I always do manually.

We know you are perfect and you will never forget what is it that you were supposed to do at each step, that is not the case for everyone else ;). I like checklists, and this is just a quick checklist of all the things I need to do. Once I am done doing them, I remove the comment label. In any case, I have created a new feature request (DQMHWL-41) to look into creating an ini token to be able to remove those notes if you don't want them. Feel free to add the feature request to https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/ta-p/3537845

If it gets lots of Kudos, we will prioritize this for the next release.

Will do! A guy I know has a T-shirt that says "Nobody's perfect, well everyone says I'm a nobody..."

My suggestion is to use the Zuehlke Project explorer menu for DQMH. You can then right-click on the module on the project explorer and create the event from there. Zuehlke tool is available at  https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Discussions/Zuehlke-Project-explorer-menu-for-DQMH/m-p/380...

Didn't know that existed, maybe because I can't pronounce it...

My suggestion here is to create the common typedef you will use in multiple events. Then on the arguments window, you can use QuickDrop to call that common typedef. If you still want the "create multiple" option, add it to the feature requests at https://forums.ni.com/t5/Delacor-Toolkits-Documents/DQMH-Feature-Requests/ta-p/3537845

BTW, this is why the Arguments window is not a running window, so you can use QuickDrop on it.

I'll add it to the feature requests, it really annoyed me 🙂

I tried to reproduce that issue and it is not happening to me, the created boolean is right where I expect it to be. Can you share with us a picture of what you are seeing on your end?

DQMH API Tester Scripting Issue.jpg

The label is overlapping the icon for longish names, for short names it is way over to the left and not "anchored" to the icon

Unfortunately, scripting generated code is not the neatest. We have found some ways to make it neater and we will including those in the next release. In the meantime, just think that you only have to move things around in the event, if you didn't have DQMH, you would have had to: create the typedef argument, create the event in the event creation VI, create the wrapper VI for generating the event, add the event case, add the code for that, don't forget to add the destruction of the event, enqueue the MHL case, add the case to the case structure, make sure to remember to add the documentation,... I think I am fine with having to move some things around, thank you 😉

Point made, well played Fab!

Thanks again for your trust in DQMH and us. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy that you are happy enough with DQMH to use it in future projects.

Joerg made me do it!!

Best regards,

Fab

PS: The DQMH toolkit has an extremely generous guarantee: If at any time you are not 100% satisfied with it, contact us and we will gladly issue a full refund of the price you paid 🙂

That made me smile!

Cheers,

Darren.

Message 3 of 5
(3,066 Views)

Hi Darren,

Good use of the quote thingy... 

I created DQMH-611 on our tracking system to follow up on the issue with the boolean not having the label anchored to its terminal on the API Tester block diagram.

Thanks for following up on my post and yours made me smile too.

Thanks for your trust and for following Joerg's "strong" recommendation.

Regards,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,056 Views)

@FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

I created DQMH-611 on our tracking system to follow up on the issue with the boolean not having the label anchored to its terminal on the API Tester block diagram.

This has been included in DQMH 5.0. You can download DQMH 5.0 Beta here:

https://delacor.com/announcing-dqmh-5-0-beta/

Happy wiring!

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,786 Views)