DQMH Consortium Toolkits Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My first delivered DQMH project

In the two weeks before Christmas I successfully delivered to my customer my first LabVIEW project created using the DQMH framework and I would like to express my thanks and acknowledgement to all at Delacor for not only a great product made free to the community but also, as important maybe more important the excellent documentation, guides and videos plus continued support that make a sole developer like myself feel confident enough to commit to using such a framework on my own project.

So Smiley Happy Heart to all a Delacor

I have half heartily followed the DQMH story since the beginning, but never been in a practical position to freely start a new project with a clean piece of paper.

Previously I have been a commit fan of the JKI State machine, but I was aware of its limitations and was surprised how easy  and natural the DQMH framework was to pick up and implement, though one of my DQMH modules does have a JKI state machine inside it.

A minor change I did to all the testers is show below and I wonder if it would be worth changing in the next release, in the normal version normally the BCast  FOR REg runs first and then the Reint so the tester would regularly show the DQMH module as not running even thought it was.

image.pngimage.png

The second thing I would comment on is that I had to come to terms with how some of the auto generated VI's would look.  I have been a real pedant with my own LabVIEW VI and how they looked and stood in terms of general good practice. The auto generated VI all look OK, wire left to right ect, but they are NOT the "perfect"  VI as I would like them. It took some effort from myself to not fiddle with the auto-generated VI, straighten a wire here or there. I just wondered if this was only me ?

Danny Thomson AshVire Ltd
Message 1 of 4
(3,874 Views)

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your trust and for sharing your feedback with us. Glad that your first experience with a DQMH project was a good one. This is a very nice way for us to start the year. Thanks for taking the time to share your Smiley Happy and Heart with us. I will make sure the whole team knows about this post. 

I created a case in our bug tracking system to address your request to wire the error output form the Initialize to Defaults to the error in of the Obtain Events for Registration VI. I think your approach is more solid.  

danny_t wrote:

I had to come to terms with how some of the auto generated VI's would look.  I have been a real pedant with my own LabVIEW VI and how they looked and stood in terms of general good practice. The auto generated VI all look OK, wire left to right ect, but they are NOT the "perfect"  VI as I would like them. It took some effort from myself to not fiddle with the auto-generated VI, straighten a wire here or there. I just wondered if this was only me ?

You are not alone, I sometimes do go back and straighten some of the auto-generated VIs. Scripting is great in that it makes us more efficient and ensures that the repeatable tasks are always done in the same way. We make sure the auto-generated VIs are clean and readable, but we cannot make them fit everyone's definition of great LabVIEW style. 

I finally came to terms with this limitation when I asked myself the following question: Why are straight wires important? Well, they make VIs more readable to everyone else, not only the VI's author. When we are all using the same tool to generate our VIs, we know what to expect when we open those VIs, we know that they get generated the same way every time. They are readable, because we already know what is in them.

That said, we are continuously looking for ways to improve DQMH and its scripting tools. In DQMH 4.0 Beta, you can see that we are putting the controls in the Request and Wait for Reply VIs outside of the case structure. VI Analyzer kept giving us a hard time because they were inside and we finally moved them outside 😉 

Please continue to share your feedback with us, this is how we continue to improve DQMH. Also, if you don't mind, please share your DQMH compliments via the DQMH ratings and reviews at the Tools Network.

Happy new year and thanks again,

Fab and the Delacor team

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 2 of 4
(3,853 Views)

danny_t wrote:

It took some effort from myself to not fiddle with the auto-generated VI, straighten a wire here or there. I just wondered if this was only me ? 

It's not just you, I also manually clean up the scripted VIs to match my programming style. Even though nobody probably ever looks at them (since they're auto-generated!). 🙂

Message 3 of 4
(3,815 Views)

@danny_t wrote:

Previously I have been a commit fan of the JKI State machine, but I was aware of its limitations and was surprised how easy  and natural the DQMH framework was to pick up and implement, though one of my DQMH modules does have a JKI state machine inside it.

A minor change I did to all the testers is show below and I wonder if it would be worth changing in the next release, in the normal version normally the BCast  FOR REg runs first and then the Reint so the tester would regularly show the DQMH module as not running even thought it was.

image.pngimage.png 

Danny,

We included this change in the latest DQMH 4.0 Beta release, you can download it from our blog at delacor.com/announcing-dqmh-4-0-beta/

The updated release notes are at the bottom of that page.

Change is part of Delacor QMH Project Template package version 4.0.0.43

Thanks for your feedback,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,698 Views)