DQMH Consortium Toolkits Feature Requests

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psmorris

Make "event only" modules a little easier...

Issue #748 created

So - we have a few modules now where we essentially strip out the message handling loop as the modules are essentially "UI" modules.

DQMH 5 broke them (well, broke the ability to use the scripting tools with them), DQMH 6 allows them to work but could it do one more thing for me?

I have a cloneable DQMH event only module - it creates the event case, but it DOESNT put the "addressed to this Module.vi" into the newly created case as it would with a regular DQMH...

Any chance you can rejig the scripting order to get that back in?

Thanks! 

6 Comments
ConnerP

I don't have DQMH on this machine to look at this "addressed to this Module.vi" which seems to be at the crux of your issue, but it sounds like what you want to do would be covered with a template, no?

joerg.hampel
Active Participant

A template will not help in this case, as the code that Paul is missing would be added to the template by the scripting. 

Currently, the scripting tools will create an empty new case:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-26 um 16.07.57.png

What Paul would like it to do is put the "addressed to this Module.vi" and an empty case structure into the new event case:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-26 um 16.12.07.png

I'll add my vote to this feature request, and according to the little DQMH elves, it shouldn't be too hard to implement 🙂

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

psmorris

Quite right Joerg, my template comes as close as it can - putting the "addressed to this module" vi on the block diagram outside of the event loop, in a diagram disable structure with a comment pointing it out and reminding the user they need it!

Obviously I havent seen the under the hood scripting, but it strikes me as probably just being an "order in which things get created" kind of issue. I imagine it doesnt do it now as the scripting tools create all the structures first in both the event and message handling loops and then go back and fill them in, but the tool stops when it realises there's no message handling loop... so never fills in the event loop..

cheers for the upvote!

ConnerP

Ahah! It took Joerg's picture and re-reading the OP to figure out what is going on. Makes total sense! Kudo'd.

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

This feature would also help anyone using alternate Event-Loop-only designs, such as the one I demonstrated here:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Is-QMH-obsolete-Am-I-wasteing-my-time/m-p/4171192/highlight/true#M1...

mbaudot
Active Participant
Status changed to: Released

Issue #748 created

Matthias Baudot | Software Architect | Founder at STUDIO BODs

STUDIO BODs     BLT for LabVIEW     LabVIEW Champion     Certified Professional Instructor     DQMH Trusted Advisor     GCentral Sponsor

Check out my LabVIEW presentations and videos!