cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Baloon Prompt using .NET Constuctors

Contestant Info:

Name: Fragger Fox

Summary:

This example demonstrates the use of .NET constructors to access Windows.Forms functions in LabVIEW.

This example uses the .NET constructor to access the windows .NET functions to display a baloon pop-up

on the bottom right of the task bar.

This is useful in auto-update applications in LabVIEW, or when the user should not be disturbed by the application

installation/upgrade status window, either on the desktop, or on the task bar.

Function:

To explain the use of .NET constructors to acess number of Windows functions in LabVIEW.

Steps to execute code:

1) Run the VI

2) Observe how the VI docks itself on the bottom right of the task bar with NI Icon and displays the

message in the baloon

3) Close the message and keep the cursor on the icon, it will display "Update Utility"

4) Right click on the VI and select "Show Application Update Progress"

5) Observe how the baloon message changes after the slider is full

6) A Transperent, Non-Layered window will open, observe that you can click through the

image, since the FP layer for this VI has been removed.

Screenshots:

Main VI Front Panel:

MainVI.JPG

Main Block Diagram:

Untitled.png

VI in RUN state:

Run State.JPG

Updates for Round 2:

An example of how to use Windows API to remove the Front Panel Layer is added. This example VI will take the Front Panel color of the VI and completely remove this color layer from the VI, making it just a blank window with no layer. This makes the Icons/Controls on the Front Panel appear like free hanging controls. In the next round, I would show you some ways of making a cool Installer GUI, using transperent icons and effects like decals, shadows, glows etc...

VI Snippet:

This VI consists of SubVIs, and hence, VI Snippet is not added. Please check the attached VI below.

VI attached below

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
Download All
Comments
D*
on
That's a really neat piece of code. Bravo!
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
on

Very slick! Great documentation! I added a screenshot of the main block diagram so people can see you calling into the NotifyIcon object in the System.Windows.Forms 2.0.0.0 assembly. Nice work!!

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
on

FraggerFox,

Could you go back and add your user group affiliation? I noticed after you posted your code without it that the links were bad but they are fixed now. Read through the updated template (http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15085) but every code submission is required to be have a user group affiliation because they are also competing for a prize. Thanks so much!!

FraggerFox
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Hello Grant,

Thanks for your comment.

I have added the user group affiliation now!

@D :

Thanks for your comment! I hope this finds useful in your project stuff

-FraggerFox!
Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified TestStand Developer
"What you think today is what you live tomorrow"
Krunal_K_Patel
on

Thats a real good stuff Fragger!!! I liked it a lot.....I hope to use it in my project!!!!

Manohar_Reddy
on

Nice one!!!

stbe
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I hope you don't feel personally offended if I tell you that this Balloon / Minimize to tray feature was already explained/posted a few years ago: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3915 (referring to "It doesn't already exist on the community verbatium (can reuse pieces of code but must be new functionality or implemenation)" @ http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15153 )

Still, I like this feature since we also use it in our company for a remote test system supervision client which therefore seems to run in "background".

on

stbe,

While both examples do call into the NotifyIcon .NET object, the previous example showed basic functionality while FraggerFox's example shows how it can be applied to show progression while a VI runs. I consider this a valid evolution of existing code on the community.

tusharjambhekar
on

in round 2 you need to "Task 1 – Getting Data From Website using LabVIEW"

You will need to create new document  for this and you will update that document for next rounds

see this: http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-15153

need to hurry now!!!

Contributors