From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you give Kudos?

Or what do Kudos mean to you?

I should have started this thread with that exact question rather than bring up an old thread with a mal-formed post.  Not that I'm triing to change any on elses activity, I want to understand the various interperatations.

I see nothing wrong with being all over the map on kudos giving philosophies.

So maybe I should explain my view to break the ice.

I tend to have different citeria per board:

• Breakpoint-  Because I feel that board is a place for off-topic community building I consider it Kudos candy land.  anything witty or any poster thread related to congratulations of another's forum achievement = kudos.  There have been some remakable achievements by a large number of posters. Those achievments are praiseworthy.  And,  I like to get a chuckle now and then.  There are some unusual threads here and there on the breakpoint.
  • IE- I sometimes wish responses could be Kudosed.  But any Idea I think would help the IDE and not confound new users = Kudos
  • Software/Hardware boards:  Kudos means "nice post" where the poster either asked a question in an obvious attempt to develop deaper understanding or made a point that showed a detailed understanding of the product under discussion.

I feel comfortable with that "multiple personality" because I can search Kudos by board- and I often troll the board specific most Kudosed posts to catch gems of wisdom or wit.

Using Kudos to bring greater attention to specific posts seams benificial to all to me.  What are your thoughts?  I specifically like to here from members whos KG/KR ratio is well away from 1:1 as they would offer different points of view from my own and I may learn a new thing or two.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 1 of 15
(17,660 Views)

I give Kudos when:

• I ask a question and an answer helps/teaches me
  • a post makes me smirk/giggle/lol
  • a post answers a question the same way I was going to answer it, had I not been beaten to the punch
  • a post encourages the (valid, IMO) use of local variables
  • someone (appears to have) put a lot of work into an answer that was intriguing enough to get me to download & try what they did
  • something strikes me as particularly clever
  • when a question shows insight or asks a question I wish I had asked
  • when a question makes me think/rethink and I answer with a bulleted list

I feel that Kudos mean I've done something from the list above, but I'm certain that other folks use different criteria.  I'm interested in reading how other folks answer your question.  That was a good question!  Kudos to you :

My KG:KR is 1.14:1

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 15
(17,649 Views)
That covers the reasons I give them. I like to be able to give a new user their first earned kudo.
=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 3 of 15
(17,640 Views)

Same here but hadd to the list...

Any behavour that I want to see repeated.

as the the ratio, I am suprised. I am ceratin I used to be above 1 but the recent numbers show 0.79 so I have slowed down on the giving side or y'all have stepped up the giving (I suspect the latter).

each Kuods is deffierent depending on who you get it from.

It was a special day when i got one from Dennis (unfortunatly is was probably a bs post). Well I felt I got him to smile. Of course all record of that claim is buried in Lithuim-Admin but I still remember.

But i see now issue in the difference in our approach to Kuods. If we were all gathered together I am sure some of would smile more often that n others.

WHich brings me to my last way of looking at a Kudos. It my way of smiling virtually.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 15
(17,633 Views)
Sometimes my thumb hits that button when I scroll on my iPhone. 🙂
Message 5 of 15
(17,631 Views)

WHich brings me to my last way of looking at a Kudos. It my way of smiling virtually.

Ben

Smiling Bear.png

I forgot to mention - my KG/KR is 0.82. Take the idea exchange out and it is significantly higher.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 6 of 15
(17,625 Views)

OK, I now see this thread is an extension of this thread whre tst wrote;

Actually, I think in that case the kudos are skewed because the stars were converted to kudos, but there was no way of attributing them to a specific post. But that's just a guess.

If you turn an auto crwal loose on lithium-admin and the Kudos given by same you would part of the explanation.

About now Mr Peabody would recomend the way-back machine...

back in the day... when the forum was new and everyone was fresh, you could not star or kudos or anything a comment which was a reply to a reply which was a reply to a questions. Yes it did not make sense but it shaped up as nobody would reply to questions but sit back and wait for others to answer and then pepople would jump on like harpies commenting on the "reply" (repeat a reply was a reply to the OP not replying to another reply). It was the culture of the forum at that time and allowed people to post good info but in a way that could not be rated. Rating was 1- 5 stars and even though the forum provider thought it was 1-4 good it was used by people as 1-star is bad bad bad. the rankings got real natsy in some cases. Somewhere about this time they re-org'd the forum and everyone could get 1-stared. talk about star wars. I got the feeling a lot of people dropped out because of 1-stars (LabVIEWGuru).

The topic came up of trying to unify the star rules but there was a major scism between "all busness" types and the "the more the merrier" groups.

There was an major out cry and the star system was called into question. The forum managers gave in and replaced the star system with Kudos world.

But how to handle all of the 1-stars blah blah blah.

So every kept their earned but what was lost in the mix was who gave it. They were all atributed to Lithuim-admin.

So after finding the way-back-machine again...

There were those that gave stars inthe past that have adhered to buisness only approach and are overwhelmed by those that cast the kudos around like petals before a bride.

If you get a kudos from one of the "buisness only" types, count it as ten.

Ben

history

Only replies got rated 1-4

everyone got rated 1-4

Converted to stars 1-5

Converted to Kudos - Lithium Admin attributed as source of all KG so our numbers got reset.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 15
(17,617 Views)
When someone comes out with an argument so sensible and responsible as this:

(Christian's response to the suggestion that Knights should be paid $1 per solution they author in the thread "What is Kudos")

altenbach wrote:

No, definitely not! You are opening up a can of worms here.

• NI would need to keep track of earnings for tax purposes.
  • We would need to complicate our tax return.
  • NI would need to create a contract with each forum member.
  • NI would need to judge if an "accepted solution" is actually correct (some are not!)
  • Scammers could form circles that constantly ask questions and mark each others answers as solutions.
  • NI could be held liable if the code suggestion blows up a nuclear reactor.
  • We would have some responsibility to follow some company line, limiting creativity.
  • NI would have the responsibility to give us free access to all NI software, because if you use your company's software, they would deserve a piece of the pie too.

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
Message 8 of 15
(17,573 Views)

@jcarmody wrote:

I give Kudos when:

• I ask a question and an answer helps/teaches me
  • [...]
  • someone (appears to have) put a lot of work into an answer that was intriguing enough to get me to download & try what they did
  • [...]
  • when a question shows insight or asks a question I wish I had asked
  • when a question makes me think/rethink and I answer with a bulleted list

[...]

Me too. I kudo good ideas and carefully stated questions and answers. Topnotch presented information also deserves a kudo.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(17,563 Views)

Guenter Mueller wrote:

Me too. I kudo good ideas and carefully stated questions and answers. Topnotch presented information also deserves a kudo.

How ironic Smiley Very Happy

I wonder if the new Me Too is supposed to be like a kudo? Maybe there needs to be another thread - When do you Me Too?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 10 of 15
(17,559 Views)