Our online shopping is experiencing intermittent service disruptions.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to control myself from Code cleaning !

There are many situations where I have to develop code within short time, but I am not able to control myself from cleaning the BD.

From some of my fellow collegues I was advised not to care about the wire bends and other stuffs and complete the code. Later part we can cleanup the code, but I am not able to follow this.  Even when I check the code of others and if I see wire bends and mis-alignment I start correcting them. 

Feel free to post your opinion.

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 1 of 21
(8,403 Views)

Trust me, you are not alone.  See this thread on LAVA for some good examples: Anyone else OCD about alignment and positioning in block diagrams?

I am so bad that I usually clean up somebody's diagram just to figure out what they are doing.  I also created a few shortcuts to help me clean up.  And my number one righ-click menu that I use is "Clean Wire".

My opinion is you will never have time to go back and do it right.  Just do it right the first time.  This includes clean up and documentation.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 21
(8,399 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Trust me, you are not alone.  See this thread on LAVA for some good examples: Anyone else OCD about alignment and positioning in block diagrams?

I am so bad that I usually clean up somebody's diagram just to figure out what they are doing.  I also created a few shortcuts to help me clean up.  And my number one righ-click menu that I use is "Clean Wire".

My opinion is you will never have time to go back and do it right.  Just do it right the first time.  This includes clean up and documentation.

The very same reason I do. Now I have to practice myself doing quick documentation 🙂

-----

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(8,392 Views)

I usually find I have plenty of time to clean up while I'm thinking about what I'm going to do next. My biggest source of frustration is deciding what my icon is going to look like. Smiley Indifferent

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 4 of 21
(8,390 Views)

@PaulG. wrote:

I usually find I have plenty of time to clean up while I'm thinking about what I'm going to do next. My biggest source of frustration is deciding what my icon is going to look likeSmiley Indifferent

I always use the same template with a heading and body color. I use the same in every project I do, and people easily identify whose code while sharing. Also I am not fancy about the Icons, simple and easy to understand.

-----

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(8,388 Views)

You are not alone on this. I got hit a few times by going through "others" coding and which had its positive eefect on my coding style.

Ever had to scroll for a few minutes to see the entire vi?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(8,340 Views)

@muks wrote:

You are not alone on this. I got hit a few times by going through "others" coding and which had its positive eefect on my coding style.

Ever had to scroll for a few minutes to see the entire vi?

Not on my code Smiley Wink Only a few times when I had to see the code, posted in forum.

-----

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(8,335 Views)

Yup, doing it all the time. It's quite annoying when you've spent some time making a VI look nice, compact and stylish just to open it in a later version of LV where the default font is increased and all alignments are lost!

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 8 of 21
(8,334 Views)

How many of us have opened a example from the example finder, and then spend a few minutes cleaning it up?  I always stop half way through.  Of course in 2012, and 2013 NI have been improving their examples but still there is some coding preferances that I find myself doing like terminals on the side, and labels on the terminals being transparent.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(8,298 Views)

P@Anand wrote:

@PaulG. wrote:

I usually find I have plenty of time to clean up while I'm thinking about what I'm going to do next. My biggest source of frustration is deciding what my icon is going to look likeSmiley Indifferent

I always use the same template with a heading and body color. I use the same in every project I do, and people easily identify whose code while sharing. Also I am not fancy about the Icons, simple and easy to understand.

I had heard/was taught that "template" icons with english descriptions was frowned upon. Your template method makes a ton of sense. I don't know how I got sucked into making icons "easy to understand" pictures. I guess the old school wants to make icons look like primitives.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(8,282 Views)