From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Windows XP support

Speaking of obsolescence ... The day has finally arrived. I have a line of equipment that runs XP with LV 8.5. Still maintain it and even create a "new" system once in a while. Other than the obvious security concerns (these machines are standalones, they do not get hooked up to the network) I'm really not that concerned. Should I be? XP is too solid to abandon.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 36
(15,032 Views)

The only issues I can immediately think of are trying to replace hardware as it wears out. At some point you will have hardware for which there aren't WinXP drivers. Until that time, a system that isn't connected to the world shouldn't be at risk regardless of no new security patches, which I'm hazarding a guess, were about 99% of the patches beyond the major service patches. Most of the other issues that WinXP started with have pretty well shaken out since 2001!

On the other hand, my employer is doing a massive switchover to Win7 this month, I am not looking forward to backing up all the data and having to reinstall multiple versions of LabVIEW and other non-standard corporate disk image stuff. Bleh. Then again Word 2003 is 11 years old (seems to do what I need but ...)

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36
(15,023 Views)

Windows 7 Embedded is on my to-do list of things to trial

This afternoon I also found that NI are supporting it, to some extent at least

(15,017 Views)

Are you saying that I should do something about  my windows 95 and windows NT4 computers? 😄

Message 4 of 36
(15,016 Views)

Legacy systems are the bane of my life. When Miscosoft stops support for an OS, our IT department stops support as well.

Which means I have to pick up the support.

Our mechanical workshop has an expensive milling machine running Win 98SE. Guess who has to keep it running O_o

(15,009 Views)

Fortunately, I managed to get away from supported the test racks I developed on Windows XP.  As had already been said, the only real concern I had was finding replacement hardware.  Even then, I think they could be updated to Windows 7 without any issues.

But now that everybody is finally updating to Windows 7, the big question is how long will Win7 be supported.  Windows 9 is coming.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 36
(15,008 Views)

I've managed to migrate everything in my location to Win7.  Not so fortunate at a couple of the other plants.  Starting getting calls about a week ago about possible migrations routes.  Ugliest is some equipment using Traditional DAQ.  I tried to warn them a couple of years ago that someone would need to invest some time to make the converision to DAQmx and do some extensive testing.  At least the DAQ cards are compatible with DAQmx!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36
(15,005 Views)

Most people on this forum are in a different situation then most users of Microsoft OSs.  We know the pain of being forced into updating more then others, but we also are able to hold on to our older OSs even longer.  But one thing I always try to mention is just how long support for XP has lasted.

Someone running XP today is running an OS that was released 12 Years ago.  Windows 95 was released 18 years ago.  So someone running XP today, is running an OS that was as old as Windows 95 was in 2008.  While I'm sure there are systems running Windows 95 today (and older OSs) it is strange to me that support, and even usage of XP has lasted as long as it has.  If you started using computers at 16 when XP was first released, you could be 28 today and have never used another OS for consumer use.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(14,993 Views)

Is there an official support for XP Mode in Windows 7?  Or does this support stop also affect this part of Windows 7?

Edit: Yup, apparently this part of Windows 7 is now officially not supported.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(14,986 Views)

Just wait another 15 years (or so) and we get cool XP emulators like we have for C64, Atatri etc.

including A20 gate sim , hard disk delay emulation,   you name it  🙂

no physical hardware needed... it's all in the cloud ....

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 10 of 36
(14,906 Views)