Automotive and Embedded Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see bus traffic using MAX on an Audi Q7

I can't see any bus traffic using MAX on an Audi Q7 quattro. I've never experienced this issue on any other vehicle I had tested. I can read the legislative PIDs using LabVIEW and the CAN functions but I can't see the vehicle OBDII CAN bus traffic using MAX. I thought maybe there was a unique wiring scheme for the proprietary PID traffic, but examining the web, it shows the standard CAN-High on pin 6 and CAN Low on pin 14 with pin 5 as signal ground for the Audi Q7 which is the way my connector is wired. Any help would be appreciated! Not sue why I'd be able to monitor all the legislative messages and not be able to view buss traffic. Thanks! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(8,066 Views)

Are you setting the Baud Rate for the High Speed CAN port to 500kBaud? According to this page the Audi Q7 uses CAN 11bit 500kb:

I'm assuming that you are using the NI-CAN BusMonitor utility from the ports in MAX.

Regards,

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(8,050 Views)

Yes, thanks! The Baud rate is set at 500K and yes I'm using the NI-CAN BusMonitor in MAX 5.0.0f1. The thing that's really puzzling is that I can successfully measure the legislative messages from the CAN bus using the LabVIEW Automotive Diagnostic Palette but can't see the bus traffic using MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(8,027 Views)

Are you having an American or European Audi? For OBD II, this makes a really big difference... in Europe, VAG cars (which Audi is part of) don't have OBD on CAN wired at all. They still use the older K-Line protocol for OBD. Only cars exported to the US have OBD on CAN wired... They are forced to by US legislation.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(8,022 Views)

@Ceule wrote:

Are you having an American or European Audi? For OBD II, this makes a really big difference... in Europe, VAG cars (which Audi is part of) don't have OBD on CAN wired at all. They still use the older K-Line protocol for OBD. Only cars exported to the US have OBD on CAN wired... They are forced to by US legislation.

The VIN for the Vehicle WA1DGAfe4dd0060403 . I can't find an exact definition of the code. The user manual is written in English and there is also an American Warranty book in the glove box. Ok, I am definietly not an expert! So what you are saying is that even though I can read information using CAN regarding the legislative PIDs which is mandated by the U.S. Government doesn't mean that the enhanced Message IDs are even available. That being the case I shouldn't see any bus traffic utilizing MAX. Is that correct?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(8,011 Views)

@sfrosty wrote:

@Ceule wrote:

The VIN for the Vehicle WA1DGAfe4dd0060403 . I can't find an exact definition of the code. The user manual is written in English and there is also an American Warranty book in the glove box. Ok, I am definietly not an expert! So what you are saying is that even though I can read information using CAN regarding the legislative PIDs which is mandated by the U.S. Government doesn't mean that the enhanced Message IDs are even available. That being the case I shouldn't see any bus traffic utilizing MAX. Is that correct?

Or rather, I'd need to utilize the K-Line protocol to monitor the OBDII message IDs. Correct?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(8,008 Views)
Which hatdware Are you using?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(8,006 Views)

@Gibson wrote:
Which hatdware Are you using?

PCMCIA CAN/2

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(8,003 Views)
If using Busmonitor in MAX you need to run your ADCS application on the 2nd CAN port

If you did check your termination
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(8,000 Views)

@Gibson wrote:
If using Busmonitor in MAX you need to run your ADCS application on the 2nd CAN port

If you did check your termination

What is ADCS?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(7,997 Views)