From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Additional NI Software Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
ATarman

[VeriStand] Edit System Definition file while project is deployed

The way we use VeriStand [currently 2019 SP1] and the INERTIA custom device for drivetrain testing, we work off a project template that may be reused for new tests, but a great deal of editing must be made to the system definition file for each project.  

While starting up a new test fixture, I am undeploying the VeriStand project multiple times per day to make edits to the system definition file procedures, alarms, calculated channels, etc.....items that can not be edited [or at least retained after undeployment, such as alarm and user channel variables].  

I would like the opportunity to edit a system definition file while the project is deployed so I do not lose downtime on test run time.  Would it be possible to, similar to SharePoint, "check out" a system definition file to edit it while the project is deployed, and after the edits are completed, undeploy and then "check in" the new system definition file.  

This feature could be integrated with a versioning feature to retain a specific number of revisions of the system definition file - say a preference that specifies to retain 15 prior versions of the system definition file.