Actor Framework Documents

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LV Class Method Viewer Tool

This is an OPTIONAL add-on for the LV environment. You do not need this to use the Actor Framework. This tool is a quick-drop plug in that improves the browsing experience when diving into deep dynamic dispatch hierarchies.

For instructions on using this tool, read this comment below:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17173#comment-34129

You need VI Package Manager to install this file.

Comments
Daklu
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Any chance of backsaving it to 2009 or 2010?

justACS
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

It's not out of the question, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it.  My primary project has a pretty aggressive time line for the next few weeks.

LVB
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

This package should have jki_tool_right_click_framework listed as a dependency.  This is currently missing in 1.0.0.6.

CLA, CTA
justACS
Active Participant
on

I wrote the Method Viewer to be compatible with either the Right Click Framework or with Quickdrop.  If I recall correctly, listing the Right Click Framework as a dependency would require you to install it, and I don't want to force that on a user that would prefer to use Quickdrop.

Has anyone had any issues with using this tool in Quickdrop *without* the RCF installed?

LVB
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

I mentioned the jki_tool_right_click_framework dependency because I saw LabVIEW searching for RCF VIs during the package installation mass compile.

VIPM does have a checkbox to "Include Dependencies" when installing a package.  The user would not be required to install the RCF if they unchcked this.  I am not sure if VIPM supports "optional" dependencies which would not be selected by default...

No issues here using the tool in Quick Drop without the RCF installed.

Thanks for developing this, it is a great tool.

CLA, CTA
griffindore
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Cool tool. This is a work-flow question. Since I'm never on the block diagram of the parent Actor Core, what is the best way to use this tool to see all the Message Do methods? Do I have to open up the base actor's "Actor Core.vi" in order to select the "Do.vi"?

Wes_P
on

Would love to see this for LV 2010

Wes Pierce
Principal Engineer
Pierce Controls
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

Mike: Yes, that's the only mechanism in the tool at the moment.

Patur
on

Here's an AF-rookie question: How does this tool work?

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

This one doesn't have anything to do with AF per se. It affects all LV classes and gives you a way to flip through all of the overrides of a given subVI. I don't have it installed at the moment, but if memory serves, it's either a right click on a dynamic dispatch subVI node or it replaces the double-click behavior when you double click on a dynamic dispatch subVI node. I didn't write this tool, just uploaded it on behalf of niACS.

mike-o-tronic
on

I also had some issues trying to figure out how this tool works. I got already a little deeper into LVOOP and AF, but I haven't really used QD or RCF before. So here is a little 'how to' for those, who have same issues as me

After you installed the model viewer, you first need to mark a dynamic dispatch VI in the blockdiagram and then open Quick Drop (CTRL+Space), use Shortcut (Default: CTRL+M) and...

To use the Right-Click Framework you first need to start it (Tools->JKI Right-Click Framework->Start...) then you can mark the dynamic dispatch VI you want to view, activate the RCF (Default: CTRL+1), hold it and right-click the VI, select 'Model View' and...

TaaDaa!!! You should see a screen like this:

LabVIEW - Model Viewer.png

tyk007
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Any chance of making this an official part of a future LabVIEW version? I use this all the time, very handle for nested DD hierarchies.

justACS
Active Participant
on

I can't promise anyting, but I will add your name to the list of people asking for this.

Patur
on

@niACS, add mine too

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
Richard_Ha
on

I can't install it. Opening it just opens the VIPM search screen? LabVIEW 2014.

If I open it from within the package manager it works fine, guess it must be afile assosiation problem on my PC?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

Richard_Ha wrote:

If I open it from within the package manager it works fine, guess it must be afile assosiation problem on my PC?

Fixing the file association is the solution that I've seen in the past with other VI packages having the problem you describe.

Contributors