From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI myRIO Troubleshooting Guide

Overview:
The myRIO Troubleshooting Guide provides quick steps to aid in common troubleshooting scenarios. 

1. NI myRIO connected over USB is not discovered (plug in and Windows displays no notifications or dialogs)

On some PCs, USB ports on the front of the machine are connected to the USB controller on the motherboard via a USB hub. This sometimes causes USB devices to behave in an unexpected way. USB ports on the back are directly connected to the motherboard and are sometimes more reliable.

Troubleshooting steps:
    1. Try all USB ports on your PC

2. Unplug/replug your NI myRIO USB device
    3. Reset your  target using the reset button
    4. Unplug/replug the power connector
    5. Ensure that you have a USB 2.0 cable. Older USB 1.1 cables will not work.

2. My USB camera does not work.

Several types of cameras can be used with the NI myRIO.

Machine Vision Cameras: Machine vision cameras conforming to the USB3 Vision standard which support running on a USB 2.0 port are supported on the NI myRIO. For more information about USB3 check out What is the USB3 vision standard.

USB Webcams: Not all USB cameras will work with the NI myRIO. The NI drivers for USB cameras use the USB Video Device Class (UVC) protocol to acquire images. Not all cameras expose full featured support at the UVC layer. Cameras must also comply with the USB specification.

A publicly maintained list of cameras which have been tested for UVC support is available here: http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/.

A list of tested cameras we have tested with the NI myRIO are available here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30455.

If you have found a camera which works or does not work, feel free to comment on the document with this information.

IP Cameras: Basler and Axis IP cameras are supported on the NI myRIO with the use of a USB to Ethernet conversion dongle.

For more information on how to set them up, refer to the following document: Using IP Cameras with the NI myRIO and an Ethernet to USB Dongle.

3. Wireless connection drops frequently. Communication fails over shared variables, network streams, VI debugging etc.

Quality of wireless communication can be considerabley affected by external  factors such as wireless noise from multiple devices, microwave ovens, etc. Inherently wireless devices are subject to more packet loss than wired.

Troubleshooting Steps:
    It is very important to have a good understanding of the RF environment in which you will be taking wireless measurements.  NI wireless data acquisition devices operate in the unlicensed ISM frequency band, meaning you must share bandwidth with all other wireless devices attempting to
    transmit data.  The IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi) spectrum is divided into 14 channels, 11 of which are available in the United States. This DevZone provides in-depth information regarding IEEE 802.11, and should be read by anyone deploying a wireless application. Typically WiFi networks reside on channels 1,6, and 11. It is important to identify an open channel to use for data acquisition. There are a few third party tools that can aid you as you analyze your RF environment:

-inSSIDer - this  tool reveals all 802.11 networks in the area, as well as the channel they reside on. Use the tool to help select a wireless channel that is not in use. All that is needed is a computer with a wireless card.
    -NetStumbler - Similar to inSSIDer
    -WiFi Analyzer - A free application for Android phones and tablets that displays available WiFi channels. 

Proper error handling in wireless applications is essential. Even in the best RF environments it is possible for a wireless signal to become weak or momentarily interrupted. Therefore, it is important that the user design their wireless applications with this in mind.

For more information refer to the Wireless Best Practices for the NI myRIO. <This document is coming soon! >

4. Errors while deploying code or running VI's

If the proper set or versions of software are not installed on the myRIO hardware, deplying VIs to it will not work as expected. Various errors can be emitted based on what products are missing.

Have questions not answered in this document?

Post your question on NI myRIO Academic Discussion Forums or browse and see if your question has already been answered!

Sunaina K.
Product Marketing Manager for CompactRIO & TSN

Making the intangible, tangible
Comments
-NIL-
on

hi my myrio usb cam have been working for the past few week but from ytd it suddenly not working. how can i fix it

BradM
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

There's not a whole lot of detail in your description. What is the behavior you're seeing? What sort of trouble-shooting have you already done? What has changed (if anything) between functioning and non-functioning systems?

Some of the base-line debugging steps would be to check that the camera is still seen by the controller (either looking at the kernel logs shortly after plugging in the camera using the dmesg command or using the lsusb tool). If the controller still detects the camera, there are some tools that you can use to check the camera from the underlying OS (I believe I've used imagemagick in the past to capture an image)

rohit0912
on

Hello,

Problem 1

I am trying to interface 4 Servo motors MG995 with MyRIO. I have powered the servos using 2 buck converters LM2596 and with proper connections to the MyRIO. However only two motors are working. I tested the other 2 but they are working when tried individually but when I try to use all 4 together only two are working. What is the problem and what is the solution?

Problem 2

I am 4 Motors via L298 Motor Driver to MyRIO. While testing it works sometime and  doesn't work quite a no. of times. It shows proper voltage levels at the o/p pins of MyRIO but nothing happens when its not working. Checked all voltage levels and everything seems fine but the problem is it works sometime and doesn't many a times. What is the solution?

Shlok1229
on

Re: Problem 2

Try resoldering the pins at the bottom of the board. Connect the motors again.

There should be no reason for it not to work, if you are getting proper voltage level.

Contributors