Student Projects

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge Detection with a USB Camera

1.Edge Detection Introduction

Edge detection is the name for a set of mathematical methods which aim at identifying points in a digital image at which the image brightness changes sharply or, more formally, has discontinuities. Fig.1 is result of edge detection.

Fig. 1. Edge Detection.

2.Program

This program use USB camera (As Fig. 2. shows) to grap raw image and then use edge detection algorithm to process the image. After processing, raw image and processed image will be written to network streams. Desktop can read images from network streams and show them in front panel.   

Fig. 2. USB Camera Connection.

In edge detection algorithm, there is a parameter called color threshold to indicate how much image brightness changes sharply. There are some images to show how this threshold will affect the processing result in Fig. 3.

(a) Set Color Threshold = 20.

(b) Set Color Threshold = 60.

(c) Set Color Threshold = 100.

Fig. 3. results for different color threshold.

We can get the result from fig. 3. With higher color threshold, edge will be detected more strictly.

Appendix:

Here are some experiment results about the performance of myRIO and roboRio vision module.We use "640*480 30.00fps" camera model to do the test.

2013-12-27 13_31_38-Microsoft Excel - Result.xlsx.png

Comments
cserha
on

Hi!

I am trying to run your demo, but I got the following error runing 'RT main.vi': -1074360311 in IMAQdx Open Camera.vi. Do you have any idea what it can be?

Greetings!

Csaba Csehati

BlueCheese
NI Employee (retired)
on

Note that IMAQdx can do a direct conversion from the YUV image a webcam produces to 8-bit monochrome, skipping the CPU cost of decoding to RGB and then to grayscale.

Eric

jmehl
on

I very much like the look of this project. However, I do not have access to LabVIEW 2013, only 2012. Would it be possible for you to "save as previous version" for LabVIEW 2012 and upload that version? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

superjing
NI Employee (retired)
on

myRIO software is based on LV 2013 only.

Yusuke.T
NI Employee (retired)
on

Hi, I think this example is very nice!!

But some linked pictures were broken...

Could you fix it for us?

nomyasnoman
on

i want to makiing traffic congestion system by using image processing algoriths.can u please tell me that would myRIO is feasible for it and what kind of software i must have

Contributors