LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex.T

Quick Access to a LVOOP Class Library via the Right Click Menu

We're all familiar with how fast programming in LabVIEW can be when using the right click menu to quickly access the associated palettes of the function we've right clicked over. Below, we can see that right clicking on the DAQmx Create Virtual Channels VI gives us direct access to the DAQmx - Data Acquisition palette. This is a lot faster than manually navigating to the Functions Palette to get the same result.

1.png

However, nothing similar exists for when programming in LabVIEW Object Oriented Programming (LVOOP). Development for LVOOP programmers would speed up dramatically if they didn't have to switch back and forth between their VI and the project window when making use of VIs from their class library.

The idea is shown below. On the left, we have the current Right Click context menu available in LabVIEW. On the right, the suggestion; the programmer is able to search through all of the VIs that are accessible to the class without having to scroll through the Project Window.

1.png

Alex Thomas, University of Manchester School of EEE LabVIEW Ambassador (CLAD)

20 Comments
Alex.T
Active Participant

... A second 'Replace' menu tree is however not a part of the idea! Smiley Tongue

Alex Thomas, University of Manchester School of EEE LabVIEW Ambassador (CLAD)

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

I wonder how difficult it would be to convert this JKI RCF plugin to a Quick Drop plugin.  <famous last words> I've done it a few times and it was pretty trivial. </famous last words>

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Intaris
Proven Zealot

How is this different froms imply defining a default menu for a class?  This is already possible under the properties of the class in the project window.

I do this all the time.

Double-check the properties for your class and note the setting "Default palette for class" or something similar.  Make a menu for this any link it to your class.  Voila, you have what you want.  This has been in LV since 2009 I think.

Shane.

fabric
Active Participant

"How is this different from simply defining a default menu for a class?"

I think the drawcard with this idea is that you shouldn't *need* to go through hoops to get at the class members via the built in menus. 

Editing class properties is a pain, especially in a med-large project when opening the properties dialog can take half a minute or more. A class is perfectly encapsulated, so it seems like a perfect candidate for a context aware menu. 

That's why it got my vote at least...

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Oh, I agree it would be cool if it's automatic but the idea states that this functionality is NOT POSSIBLE in LV, which is clearly a false statement.

Reword it for automatic context menus and I'll vote for it.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

Soooo are people voting for this feature to become automatic (because to me it's totally not clear that the original post is asking for this specifically) or are people unaware of the current implementation?

I personally would also LOVE to see the class menu being automatically generated as I feel having to manually create a palette for each and every class a PITA but I'm not really willing to vote here because I don't see that as being the original request...  Can someone enlighten me?

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

I voted for automatic generation of the menu.  I would sugest the feature should work for any library, not just classes, and should filter out out-of-scope VIs (so if you clicked on a subVI in a VI outside the library, it would not show private members of the library).  It would be nice if the generated menu also allowed access to methods of parent classes.  And the same menu should be part of the "Insert" menu when one clicks on a wire of that class.

-- James

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

Oh, and using the automatic generation should be an option of the "default menu" selector in the Library properties, so one can always override the menu with one generated (painfully) by yourself.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

drjpowell

This I would certainly vote for but am I the only one who sees the difference between what you just posted and what the original text asks for?

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

The OP is unaware of the way of manually generating a menu for a class, true.  However, the tone of the idea is very much an automatic menu that "search(es) through all of the VIs that are accessible to the class".  The current manual method is hobbled by poor useability, and it is possible that an overhaul of menu creation could make this idea less needed.