Editing VI Documentation with Icon Editor (for LV12)
With this modified and new VIs, the VI documentation can be edited in a separate tab page in the Icon Editor. I hope this will motivate writing documentation for your VIs.
- Undo and Redo leave out the documentation elements
- At least it does this consequently
- open the LabVIEW directory "%Program%/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012/resources/plugins"
- (optional) backup the original file "lv_icon.lvlibp" by moving it into a new directory ("lv_icon_orig/"):
- extract the file in the zip file "lv_icon packed *.zip" in the directory
- The modified Icon Editor should pop up now when you edit a VI in LabVIEW 2012
If this does not work do the Installation for Development (see below)
Installation for Development
- Install the source of the Icon Editor as described here: Icon Editor Source Code for LabVIEW 2012
- open the LabVIEW directory "%Program%/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012"
- (optional) backup the original files by moving this files into a new directory ("lv_icon_orig/"):
- "lv_icon.vi", "lv_icon.lvproj", "NIIconEditor/Controls/References Cluster.ctl", "NIIconEditor/Miscellaneous/Menubar/ShowLayersPalette.vi"
- extract the files in this zip file in the LabVIEW directory ("%Program%/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012")
- This wil place some files in "resources/plugins/".
- only the files mentioned to backup are overwritten
- The LabVIEW Project containing the Icon Editor VIs is this one: "resources/plugins/lv_icon.lvproj"
Initial discussion and discussing development: Suggestion: Edit Documentation form Icon Editor
Original Idea in LabVIEW Idea Exchange: Icon Editor with VI Documentation