From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni 9792 without LabVIEW RT

I have NI 9792 and NI WSN-3212. I have installed LabVIEW 2011, MAX, and WSN but I don't have LabVIEW RT.

I see NI 9792 in MAX but I don't see WSN Nodes. Also I was not able to add software.

Is it possible to see WSN nodes without LabVIEW RT?

What about NI WSN-9791 controller?

Thanks, Andrey

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,353 Views)

Hi Andrey,

You will need the LabVIEW Real-Time Module in order to connect and program the WSN Node(s) with the WSN Gateway.  Please refer to page 3 here.

The WSN Nodes do not automatically register through the Gateway.  You need to manually add each one individually to the correct Gateway.  This allows you to strategically organize your network if you have many nodes and multiple Gateways.  You will need the serial number for the Node in order to add it through MAX.  Please see starting on page 8 here.

Best,

Ryan C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,344 Views)

@Ryan-C wrote:

Connected on Saturday evening. It takes 2 days and we didn't get what we supposed to get. I would say about my expirience. First of all, I do use LabVIEW. I didn't use LabVIEW Real-Time but I do used another real-time OS.

I would say WSN (maybe LabVIEW Real-Time) has absolutely different style of installation and testing from MAX, DAQ or DAQmx drives, and LabVIEW.

1. Usually, MAX and additional drivers (like VISA) are enough to see all devices and test those signals withput LabVIEW. And that is very helpful!

2. in WSN case

2.a. LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real-time must be installed.

Comment 1. Manual has information that LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real-time must be installed but it doesn't point for which goal. For MAX or for writing LabVIEW program! Way in LabVIEW user mind is to write LabVIEW program. (Suggestion: WSU installation can check LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real-Time and gives eror.)

Comment 2. Without LabVIEW Real Time MAX finds WSU controller but nothing can be done. NI software doesn't provide information that LabVIEW Real time module is absent. It is very bad situation. It looks that system looks works but really it doesn't work and doesn't give any tips why!

2.b. LabVIEW, LabVIEW Real-time, and WSN versions must match. In case of WSN 1.3 LabVIEW 2011 and LabVIEW Real-time 2011 must be used.

Comment 3. I installed LabVIEW 2012 because all time NI stay that the latest version should be installed.

2.c. In WSU installation customer must manually set check boxes to install LabVIEW support.

Comment 4. Usually, drivers check existing software themselves. If customer checks additional box usually installation package shows error message.

2.d. It is not clear which software need to be load into WSN controller.

Comment 5. It is not bad if installation was done correctly up to this point because there are 3 choices, like minimal, full, custom. If not there is not good information what should be installed and why.

Comment 6. When LabVIEW Real time wasn't load and tried to load WSN then I got error message about 2 packages. One was LabVIEW Real Time 2011. Another was package (version 3.1 ???) probably inside of LabVIEW Real Time. The beaty is that NI web site search engine doesn't provide any reasonable information about this package and I spent an hour trying to find.

2.e. After installation and finding slave WSN module.

Comment 7. MAX doesn't provide test panel for slave WSN module. As minimum, I wasn't able to find.

I am sure it is possible to create step-by-step manual (can be unofficial) with simple pictures (Alt-Print Screen) which explain step by step installation process. Each step could consists of action and checking. I am sure to create manual someone needs only 2-3 hours.

Any comments?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,342 Views)

You should be able to add and see the WSN Nodes in MAX without LabVIEW Real-Time, as long as you have the WSN driver installer.

However, there has not yet been released a WSN driver that is compatible for LabVIEW 2012.  I would recommend using LabVIEW 2011 SP1, which is compatible for NI-WSN 1.3, for the time being.

Also, once you connect to the WSN Nodes, something close to a Test Panel can be utilized to simply monitor what the measured values are in MAX.

Regards,

Ryan C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,325 Views)

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll try and answer/reply to all the points you have made

1. It is true that installing software on a the NI-9792 is different than using DAQmx in the Windows environment but this is due to the 9792 being a NI Real-Time target. You would have to use the same install steps to use a DAQmx device on a Real-Time target. The NI WSN-9791 can be used without LabVIEW Real-Time. You can also check the signals being reported back from the nodes once they are added to the gateway through Distributed System Manager.

2.a. Using the NI-9792 you do require LabVIEW Real-Time however the 9791 can be used without it. So not every configuration of NI WSN requires Real-Time. In the documentation for the gateways it states if you will need Real-Time or not.

2.b It is correct that there must be compatibility between the LabVIEW version, module version and driver version. NI WSN support for LabVIEW 2012 will be released in the near future but as of right now all NI WSN applications should continue to use LabVIEW 2011 SP1.

2.c For the NI WSN driver installation, it does check the versions of LabVIEW and will select to install it by default for all support version of LabVIEW. You can then chose to not install it for versions of LabVIEW.

2.d For the NI-9792 there are two recommended Real-Time software sets for each version of LabVIEW Real-Time installed, when installing drivers to the device. Either of the options will install the NI WSN drivers to the 9792. If you chose custom software installation a warning pops up that recommends you to chose one of the recommended software sets.
I cannot comment on the package for Real-Time, the recommended software set does not have any software that has the version 3.1

2.e There is no test panel for the WSN nodes however you can check the channels by loading Distributed System Manage and finding the nodes under the gateway or by creating a simple LabVIEW project

There is an official step by step guide that comes shipped with the NI-9792 called the NI 9792 WSN Real-Time Gateway Getting Started Guide. It walks through Installing LabVIEW and all required software (including LabVIEW Real-Time), Installing software to the NI 9792, Adding nodes to the network and creating a simple example program to test out the nodes. This guide is also online at NI.com under manuals on the 9792 product page.

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments    

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,309 Views)