cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

configuring time server (for wsn 9791) in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

hello,

I would need to configure a time server for my WSN9791 gateway in order to ger readings with time-stamps from remote nodes. How can I do that?

I already checked this forum and other sources of information about this question and found that the Time server is configured by using MAX under "Remote Systems > NI-WSN9791 > System Settings" but I didn't find any setting regarding the NTP server there.

The configuration of my system is:

- Windows 7 professional

- LabView 2013

- NI-WSN 2013

- MAX ver. 5.5.0f0

- one WSN9791 gateway

- eight WSN3202 nodes

regards

Flavio

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,694 Views)

Hi,

the first thing that you have to do, about the configuration of WSN with NTP server, is the configuration of a NTP server, if you don't have one. Follow some links that explain how create e configure a Server to use with WSN. I hope that the info help you for the application:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/44FA322FAFF8D58D862575BD00591A54?OpenDocument

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EA90C9FF24D9A041862575EE004ED415?OpenDocument

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,674 Views)

Hi Mario,

many thanks for your kind reply.

I already knew the two link you mentioned in your post, however I think my problem is slightly different: I can't find where to place the IP address of the NTP server for the WSN9791 gateway. This probably depends on the software configuration of my PC but so far I have not been able to figure out where I'm wrong.

If you take a look to the attachment in my previous post, you can see how MAX shows me the "System Settings" window.

Similarly, in the "Network Settings" there is no trace of a "Time server" setting (as in the attachment of this post).

Best regards

Flavio

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,672 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author flavio05

at last I asked support to NI technicians who have just found a solution.

I report the message that describes the issue.

------

Why Can't I set a Time Server for My NI-WSN 9791 Gateway?

This is a known issue in NI MAX 5.5 and NI MAX 5.6. The time server option was not being displayed due to a change in the backend of the System Settings page. A workaround to display the time server setting  has been created. The following steps will enable the time server option in NI MAX 5.5 or NI MAX 5.6

1. On your development machine, navigate to C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MAX\UI Providers\DefaultRemoteUixml\ for 64-bit windows and C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\MAX\UI Providers\DefaultRemoteUixml\ for 32-bit windows.
2. In the C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\MAX\UI Providers\DefaultRemoteUixml\ directory, make a copy of the original mxrmcfg.DDPSystem.def.xml file to original-mxrmcfg.DDPSystem.def.xml. This will backup the original file to undo any changes.
. Open in notebook the file mxrmcfg.DDPSystem.def.xml

4. replace any contents of the file with the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<item>
  <group id="settings" order="0" weight="0">
    <property id="userData2" caption="Timeserver" sysattr="219316224" order="41500" writable="true" />
    <property id="protectrestarts" caption="{protectrestarts}" sysattr="219287552" order="43000" writable="true" />
  </group>
</item>
5. Restart NI MAX

After following these steps, you will be able to set the time server on the NI-WSN 9791 through NI MAX.

------

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,592 Views)