Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing VI's detail when deployed on a node

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everybody, I already post this question in the french community, but the answer was not what I expected.

Here the french version, english will follow :

J'ai un système sans fil comprenant un gateway 9792 et des noeuds 3226 programmables. J'ai fait quelques essais pour me familiariser avec eux et en faisant un petit VI à déployer sur un noeud pour un certain projet, je me suis rendu compte que ce noeud restait programmé si je m'en sert pour un autre projet. Je me demandais donc comment faire pour voir si un certain noeud est programmé, et s'il l'est comment faire pour voir ce que fait ce programme.

I recently got a wireless sensor network system which include a NI9792 and 4 ni3226 (programmable). I did some tests to become familiar with it and created a small VI to deploy on a node that is just adding the last 10 rtd measurements, It take a sample each second and send the sum each 10 seconds. It was made to do average but to see if it works well I divide by 1 instead of 10.

It work well on the small project I built for testing purpose. But now, the node is programmed and I don't know how to see the program that is running, of course I know what it is, but what can-I do to see the VI that is running or modify it or erase it if I want the node to perform as out-of-the-box ?

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(8,242 Views)

What was the solution you received in the French Forum?

~kgarrett

District Sales Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(8,236 Views)

I was told that it's impossible to know what is running on a node, and that maybe the WSN API host can help me in some way but with no more details. I tried to "reset" my nodes by sending an unmodified VI template, it seems to work, but it would be better if I can retrieve the VI that is running on the node.

I would also like to know, if it's possible to retrieve a VI, is it possible to copy it on another node ?

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,230 Views)

MacLac,

I don't know of a good way to determine the VI running on a particular WSN node. But it may be beneficial to use the WSN API to see the variables that are being passed from the node. This way if you give them unique names you should be able to see which one is running. These are some articles which may help:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6385

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6479

🙂 I hope this helps

Sam S
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,224 Views)

Hi everybody,

I repost a similar question after more than 2 years. I'm of course more familiar with the WSN system but I never found a way to know what is running on my nodes. There an exemple of what I would like.

wsn firmware.png

You can see that all the 11 nodes on this project have a VI deployed, this can be seen by the modified icon on the left-hand side. But on the righ-hand side it is said taht they all have the same firmware version. There are 2 or 3 different VI's running on these nodes, I have to note them by hand to know which one is on which node. Sometime I made some slight changes and it is, I think, impossible to know what is the package that runs on these nodes. What would be great is to be able to see what is the package that runs on the nodes in the firmware version collumn. i.e. Exemple1.pkg, Exemple2.pkg, etc.

If that's impossible, is there another way to get this information ?

Thank you

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(7,736 Views)

Hi Mathieu,

There isn't a way to determine what code is running on the node built in to the NI-WSN/LabVIEW WSN software. Only, as you have pointed out, if the node is running the Default NI-WSN firmware or a custom user created firmware. 

You could add a bit of code to the User message case on the node VI that would send back a user message of what code is running on the node. Then if you send a user message to that particular node it will send back what version of code it is running. 

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,725 Views)

Thank you Brian,

I already use the user message to change my sampling rate, but there should be a way to use them for multiple purpose at the same time. Just a question, where the message sent by the node appear ?

Thanks again

Mathieu

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,721 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MaLac

Generally when I'm using user messages for dynamic node configurations I use some of the first characters as metadata. As an example, you could create a case structure on the node's Receive case and look at the first character of the user message. If the first character is a 0 then the 0 case changes the sample rate based on the rest of the user message, if it is a 1 then it sends back what code version is running. It's really up to you how you would want to implement it though. 

You can see the messages the node sends back through the WSN System Monitor under the expanded Details section on the Node Monitor Tab. You can also get the information using the WSN Host api WSN Get New Messages.VI

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ

National Instruments 

Message 8 of 8
(7,713 Views)