Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To programmatically get the Serial Number of the WSN nodes?

Hello there!

Does a WSN node know it's serial number either natively (in firmware) or via the WSN gateway at boot time of the node? I'd like the node to know what it's serial number is and use to for debug and User App msgs. Think about a large scale mesh with many nodes.

One can certainly find all nodes (WSN Get Node Info.vi) on the Host application side and then propagate the serial number to each node (WSN Send Message.vi) as a User Message and make that a WSN node global variable... this seems like a lot of work.

Is there any easier solution?

-Chroma

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,641 Views)

Hey Chroma,

For non-programmable nodes, I think the WSN Get Node Info.vi will be the easiest way to obtain the Serial Number for each of your Nodes.

If you're using programmable nodes, you can always create a constant value for the Serial Number on the Node. You could also create a User Defined Variable for the Serial Number that your Node can publish to the gateway and use within its own code.

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,613 Views)

I understand your comments but it's still not clear to me whether the NI serial number (on the label on the side of the WSN node) is actual burnt into flash or firmware during manufacture.

-Chromaburst

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,603 Views)

Hey Chromaburst,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to address your question in the first post. I'm not sure whether the Serial Number is set into the firmware or into some form of Read-Only (EEPROM) memory on the WSN node but I would definitely say it is stored on there permanently in some way. I suspect this because of how we can connect a node to a Gateway within the Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX). Whenever you connect your Gateway you then detect and associate your Nodes with the serial number.

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,596 Views)