Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI WSN-3202 AUTO-RESET

Hi,
I have a network consisting of two nodes NI WSN 3202, respectively, node A and node B and a NI WSN-9791 GATEWAY which is connected to an NI Compact Rio, the A node acts as a router and node B is an end-node. Unfortunately I have some problem with the node B because it tends to plant himself when the signal weakens below a certain threshold. I wanted to know was possible to implement some sort of auto-reset to node B directly without resetting the Compact Rio.
Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(7,891 Views)

Hi Cupertino,

Can you elaborate what you mean by "plant himself"? Do you mean drop off the network? If so, this is expected behaviour. If a node travels outside of the wireless rage of the gateway and routers it will not be able to comunicate with the network. Once it drops off the network it will try to rejoin the network. If it is unsuccesful it will wait increasing longer time to try to rejoin the network. The max time it will wait to try is a little over an hour. Also note that once it is out of range of the network it will not join the network untill the signal strength is greater than 30%. Hopefully this answers your questions but if not just let me know.

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Academic

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(7,828 Views)

Thanks for your interest. I have not explained well. The Node B, when the signal quality drops below a threshold, out of the network. Then as you said will try to re-enter the network by following the Fibonacci series. I am conducting a study to understand why the signal quality falls. I've found that restarting the CompactRIO signal is normal and the system continues to operate. My question is whether there is a way to program the WSN node so that when the quality of the signal has a negative derivative the node restarts. Can I do this? Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(7,822 Views)

I guess I am still unsure as to why you would want to restart the node.Can you please elaborate more on what conditions you want to reset the node under and what you believe resetting the node will accomplish. 

Cheers,

Brian A

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(7,813 Views)

In my case the node leaves the network when the level of signal quality is 6%.
The node tries to enter the network when the level is above 30%. In my case, however, rarely the level is 30%, and the node remains days away from the network.
I've found that manually resetting the CompactRIO node enters the network. can you tell me why?
My goal is to program the node to do an "automatic reset node" when the signal gets close to 10%, so I avoid resetting the CompactRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(7,806 Views)

That is rather odd behavior. When the gateway is reset the network will be forced to reform. The only thing I can think that would cause the node to rejoin at that time is if it makes a connection to the router rather than the gateway (or vice versa depending on which it was connected to). However when the node drops off the network, the network should reform to accommodate the node to rejoin the strongest signal and shouldn't leave it stranded. 

Can you describe or draw a picture of how your network is setup including approximate distances, any obstructions, and antenna orientations. 

Cheers,

Brian A

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(7,795 Views)

Distances are not important in the analysis because the system in 99% of cases it works

I did not specify that the system nodes wsn-gatway-CompactRIO operating normally. the problem described has occurred 3 times a month.
This system is used to monitor a PV string.
Since the system is far from my place of work I wish there was an auto-reset in case of a node leaving the network
One solution is to implement an auto-reset CompactRIO, I would like to avoid it if possible.
What I would like to implement an auto-reset node B which is what its problems. it is possible to program the node B to reset itself in the condition of signal less than 10%?
greetings

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(7,789 Views)

I've included a vi that will reboot the node if you run it on the LabVIEW WSN Target. You can monitor the signal strenth and simply run this when you want to reboot the node.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(7,773 Views)

can you give me the password to see the block diagram so that I can understand how it is done and to develop it for other needs?
thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(7,767 Views)

Unfortunately I cannot. You can simply drop this VI on the block diagram of the LabVIEW WSN target where you want the node to reset. Such as in a case structure that gets called when the network connection is too low. 

Cheers,

Brian A

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(7,760 Views)