From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9792 field internet connection

Hello all,

I have a field deployable WSN system centered around a NI 9792 programmable gateway that collects temperature and strain data for several days at a time under battery power. I'm looking to upgrade its capabilities by sending collected data hourly either over FTP or in an email using MailGun. My biggest obstacle right now is just connecting the gateway to the internet in the first place. Has anyone used an RT host with a prepaid cell phone as a modem before? What kinds of cellular modems have been used with WSN successfully? Thank you for your suggestions!

-Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(5,553 Views)

Hi Jordan,

I have heard of many customers successfully using a 3G cellular modem that have an ethernet port to connect to the NI-9792's ethernet port for remote access through the internet. Unfortunately I don't have a specific make or model of 3G modem they were using. 

Here are some examples from MOXA but I haven't used them before so cannot comment on how well they work. 

OnCell G3110/G3150-HSPA

OnCell 5004/5104

Cheers,

Brian A

R & D Product Support Engineer | WSN/Network DAQ/Wireless

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(5,550 Views)