From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Directional Antenna for WSN

Hello,

I make a project and I think WSN module and gateway are a good solution for it, but I'm not sure about distance (its over 300 meters). Can I use directional antennas with WSN modules to increase transmission distance?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,700 Views)

That might work - that's not a supported use and it hasn't been tested so I can't say for sure. WSN nodes are designed to be able to also be used in a router mode, allowing you to extend your network to up to 900 meters out  (using 3 nodes, with 2 being used as routers). Designing your network with this in mind is probably the best approach. Take a look at the white paper linked below; it might be helpful for you during your planning stages.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/11211/en/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,650 Views)

Thank you for your answer. It's very useful information about WSN routers, but I think  I can't use routers due landscape.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,633 Views)

Hi scotia,

you cannot cover the distance of 900metres what i think using WSN devices with using 2 routers. its written that only in line of sight it can communicate upto 300 metres (americas) and also theenvironmental conditions effects.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,625 Views)