Wireless Sensor Networks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After using Pioneer "WSN deploy firmware" function the WSN 3202 node is unavailable

Hello,

I have the following problem:

after using Pioneer "WSN deploy firmware" function in LabView the WSN 3202 node is unavailable (other nodes whose firmware was not deployed are working correctly). I have followed the troubleshooting guide (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/88B2957808343185862575EC00120872), but nothing does not seem to help. The WSN node does not respond at all (even the LEDs are not blinking).

It seems that the problem originates from corrupted firmware. I tried to deploy my WSN target application.

Is there any other possibilities to get the node up and running again?

Looking forward to hear from You,

Ahti

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,336 Views)

Hi Ahti,

Try this - remove the power source from the node.  Press and hold the reset button, and then reapply power.  After 5 to 10 seconds, let go of the reset button.  Within 1 second, the signal strength LEDs should flash - the outer two will light for about half a second and then the inner two will light for half a second, and toggle this way for about 10s or so.

If when you reset the node this way the LEDs do not flash, then there is a hardware problem with the node, and you should schedule an RMA.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,328 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Thank You for Your answer, unfortunately it did not help. When holding down the reset and after that powering the node in most of the cases nothing happened. In few cases some (randomly, usually all the LEDS) of the status LEDs and/or user LED lit when node was powered and then slowly faded after few (or more) seconds. Sometimes some LEDs faded instantly before others. I tried different power sources and batteries, but that did not change anything.

Does this indicate that there are hardware problems or is it still possible that the firmware is corrupted? Is it possible to overwrite the firmware without using zigbee (using programmer)?

Ahti

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,314 Views)

Update:

I played around with the reset and wsn connect button and suddenly all the LEDs lit and did not fade. Then after around 10 minutes I removed the power source and then connected it again. All the LEDs lit again. Then after some time the 1st (leftmost) and 2nd signal strength LED started to blink in the following sequence:

LED1 (before that 12 zeros) 1101100000000000000011010111

LED2 (before that 12 ones)  0110110010010010010001111010            

(see attached image)

The shortest period (1 or 0) lasts around 290 ms.

After about half an hour of this kind of blinking the sequence changed to following: LED1 on, after 5 s LED1 off and LED2 on, after 3 s LED2 off, after 13 s repeats.

In this state pressing reset or wsn connect button has no effect.

The reconnecting power source does not change that sequence.

When holding down reset and connecting the power all the LEDs are off and when reconnecting they remain off.

Ahti

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,312 Views)

Hi Ahti,

Unfortunately, the blinking pattern you describe seems to indicate a hardware failure.  I've never seen that kind of an LED pattern before, and I can't figure out how it would even be possible.

When you press and hold the reset button for 5 s or more, that triggers a factory reset of the device.  There is a small section of code on the microcontroller that is never reprogrammed which handles this button press.  When it sees the press, it first erases the rest of the microcontroller's flash and then reprograms it with a copy of the original factory firmware image that is stored on a second flash chip on

the device.  During this period, the LEDs will flash in the manner I described in my earlier post. 

Given what you've described, it appears that the bootloader (i.e. the section of the microcontroller that does not get overwritten) is corrupted, or that some other part on the board has failed.  We can fix this for you with a warranty return.

-Jeff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,308 Views)

Hi Jeff,

Thank You for Your help.

We will return the hardware to our local NI representative.

Ahti

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,305 Views)

Hello Ahti,

Thanks for your continued work with us.

You may have already contacted your local rep by now but R & D would like to take a closer look at your node and fix your node. Can you tell the NI representitave that you talk with to send the node directly to R & D (PSE). They will know who I am talking about. We will ensure that this gets look at in a timly manor and to make sure this does not haappen to you and other customers in the future.

Cheers

Corby
NI R & D

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,298 Views)