Western PA LabVIEW Users

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best LabVIEW Book?

Given that I learned LabVIEW on the mothership, I never had the need to read a LabVIEW book.

I often hear the question from customers asking me which book I'd recommend.

What do you think?

I've heard this one is pretty good:

LabVIEW for Everyone: Graphical Programming Made Easy and Fun (3rd Edition) (National Instruments Virtual Instrumentation Series) (Hardcover), August 2006

by Jeffrey Travis (Author), Jim Kring (Author)

ISBN-10: 0131856723

I'm definitely curious to find out what everyone in WPA is reading to learn LabVIEW. If you've seen a book lying around the office, or read one yourself, let me know what it is and what you thought of it!

Best,

Evan

Message 1 of 9
(49,829 Views)

In my opinion the BEST LV book is still being written every day and it comes in two versions.

The LabVIEW forum makes for lively reading and a wide variety of topics.

LAVA is not near as active but the topic are often explored to a greater depth.

They great aprt about thos "books" is they adapt to the question I have today!

But if you want to restrict this Q to only hard-copies then have "LabVIEW for Everyone" third edition on my desk and have cited it when answering question.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 9
(25,150 Views)

We have recently started a LabVIEW Users Group at work,

mainly for those new to LabVIEW.  We have settled on LabVIEW for Eve

ryone as our training book, and future reference book when ev

eryone is coding.

Message 3 of 9
(25,150 Views)

The books that I reccomend to up and coming LabVIEW developers are the following:

1) LabVIEW for Everyone: Graphical Programming Made Easy and Fun

2) LabVIEW: Advanced Programming Techniques

3) The LabVIEW Style Book by Peter Blume

As Ben stated above LAVA and LabVIEW forums give great info. Plus the topics are more up to date as when books go to print they can already be out dated.

Message 4 of 9
(25,150 Views)

My Top 5:

1) LabVIEW Graphical Programming (Johnson Jennings)

2) LabVIEW for Engineers (Larsen)

3) LabVIEW Style Book (Blume)

4) LabVIEW Student Edition (Bischop)

5) LabVIEW for Everyone

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(25,150 Views)

LabVIEW for Everyone: Graphical Programming Made Easy and Fun is very good.

---
Silver_Shaper | CLD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(25,150 Views)

I found a used copy of the Labview for everyone third edition (this IS a great book!), But it's missing the disk that contains the "everyone" directory.  Reading through to chapther 5 now, I see that those vi's in that folder are becoming incresingly important.  Does anyone know where I can get ahold of a copy of that disk, or just the Everyone folder?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(25,150 Views)

Hi,

I learned LV at work. Like so many software people (I'm guessing), I was massively anti-LV. This was in about 1996, when all things GUI seemed a bit lacking. After the training course however, I fell in love with LV (what version would that have been?).

I can only imagine that LV these days is still fundamentally fantastic but now supports all sorts of wonderful technologies (hardware and software). As you've probably gathered, I haven't used it for many years. Since 1997, I guess.

I've recently become a 'maker' as they say. And I want to get back into LabVIEW, but I'm not sure what route to take. I'd like to know what's been added since '96, but I'm guessing that would be a tall order. So my next thought is a hardback that NI used to give to students after they'd completed the first few training courses.

It was a lovely book. It cemented everything I'd learned and thought might be possible with LV. Can anyone remember what it was called? And is it still in print or available in a PDF? With it, I'm sure I'd be back up and running in no time.

I used to feel that the book was on a par with something like The C Programming Language by Kernighan and Ritchie, succinct and pithy.

Any other routes for rekindling my affair with LV would be great 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,933 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(1,236 Views)