Western NY LabVIEW User Group

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting digital pulses using digital input (vs. analog)

I haven't done any LabView programming in several years and now have a new project.  Fairly straight forward DAQ but I've used up all of my analog inputs and need to also collect digital pulses driving a motor.  Can I collect these pulses on a digital input like l could on an analog input? I need to collect 4 inputs, each with 32 five volts pulses, within about 110 ms. I am using a PCI-6220 card. I have a second PCI-6220 so I could go with two devices. The engineer wants to see the pulses and save the date to file, no counting or timing needed. The data can be zeros and fives or zeros and ones, just need to see the pattern.
I will be also collecting analog inputs within this time frame (finite sampling) and I want to trigger off of the motor current analog input.

I found this and think it might be what I want, comment if you wish.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/1566

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,577 Views)

You could write a routine if Current Input is greater than X, monitor Analog Inputs if less than .5VDC write 0 to string if greater than 4.5VDC write 1 or 5 ( append to existing string). Use Counter/timer, Event Structure Value Change or Processor Consumer Loops to generate string decisions. Good Luck.

Greg
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,432 Views)

So 32 pulses in 110 ms on 4 seperate channels. That would be 3.4 ms per pulse or 294hz. looks like you have Two 32-bit, 80 MHz counter/timers with 16 analog inputs.

Two counter/timers will allow you to accurately count 2 digital channels using counter/timer vis. Highly accurate! provided care is used with single ended inputs. I am guess that the digital inputs can be routed to the counter on this board.

The rate is slow enough you could read it in the 5 analog streams using arrays and use levels to indicate when it is high or when it is low. You may have to put in a filter for random noise.

Chuck

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(5,432 Views)