Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a different user name to the volume license server

From what I can tell, when I connect to the VLM it authenticates my license based on Windows login user name.  Is there any way to transfer a different username to the VLM than the windows user?

Worded another way:  I have a domain computer that needs shared between operators.  This means a local account to login instead of domain.  The VLM denies licenses to the local account, and security policies restrict us from sharing domain accounts.  SO, I need a method to transfer a domain username to the VLM while retaining a local windows account.  The VLM does not of course validate the domain credentials, just the username.

Finally, I have zero control over the VLM.  It is in another state.  My guess is I could work internally to get a solution to this, but the way things go around here that is likely to take weeks...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,982 Views)

It seems like you currently have it set up as a user based license, which pulls from the Windows User.  Here's an article which details the licensing options you have available to you: http://www.ni.com/license/licensing_options.htm

Changing the license type will require you to contact the software admin however.  If the process of contacting the software admin is slow then you can also request to be a secondary software admin.  All of this will have to go through internally, but it could prevent future hold ups.

Message 2 of 3
(4,966 Views)

Thanks for the reply and info.  

I was hoping there was a method to mask or send a different username to the VLM other than the Windows user, but it looks like that isn't the case.  Now, I get to deal with our massive and extremely "helpful" corporate IT... 😞

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,963 Views)