From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stumped - How to Automate LabVIEW 2014 Activation

I am building an automated package for SCCM and I am stumped on how to get the licensing activate correctly using our license server.  I am using a spec file, have the correct license key information entered, and the application installs correctly.  This is the command that I am running to specify our license server: nilmUtil.exe -addservers (servername:port here) 

After everything installs I open NI License Manager and it has the correct license server listed and says active. But when I open the LabVIEW application I get a warning that I have 7 day evaluation period for a bunch of the components.  This message is displayed for each item that isn't activated correctly "The version requested is greater than the highest version licensed on".  Also when I click on "About LabVIEW" I see the correct registered company name and license key but it says "LabVIEW Evaluation Version".

If I click on the "Activate Products" button I can successfully request the activation codes and after manually entering them everything shows up licensed correctly.

Could there be an issue with the license server?  Or maybe we aren't licensed correctly?  Or am I just missing a step since I am new to this application?

Thanks,

Joe

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,380 Views)

Hi Joe,

A possible reason for this behavior is that LabVIEW might still looking to the Local Licenses on your machine instead of the License Server for licensing information. You can hide the Local Licenses from LabVIEW by temporarilty changing the "Licenses" folder name to "Licenses1" in C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\License Manager. This will then allow LabVIEW to look to the License Server instead.

Hope this helps!

Julia P.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,364 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I don't seem to have that directory for some reason...not in Program Files or Programs Files (x86) any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,359 Views)

I found them here: <ProgramData>\National Instruments\License Manager\Licenses

I renamed the directory and now when launching LabVIEW instead of saying I have a 7 day eval it says No License Available.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(7,358 Views)

Hi Joe,

In that case, it sounds as though you are connected to the Server but that permissions to the required software have not been granted.

If you are using NI Volume License Manager, the link below describes how to add Client Permissions:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CE574DDA475BBC54862572A3006B6024?OpenDocument

Hope this helps!

Julia P.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,337 Views)

I think I figured it out.  I needed to also silently activate each package separately by name after setting the license server.

using this syntax:

nilmUtil.exe -s -activate "LabVIEW_PDS_PKG 9.0000" -serialnumber "A111A1A11" -firstname "Jane" -lastname "Doe" -organizationname "Company Name"

I have successfully tested it a few times and think this will resolve my issues.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,335 Views)