Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI in WinGet (Windows Package Manager)

When it will be possible to install NI Package Manager (or other NI SW) with WinGet (Windows Package Manager)?

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
Message 1 of 7
(6,504 Views)

Anyone?

It would be really convenient to have a script for a clean Windows OS which install all I need. I understand, that could be achieved with winget and nipkg?

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,241 Views)

Hi Michał,

Currently, we do not have imminent plans to make NIPM available via winget, however, this is something that we have discussed internally and are interested in.

I would be interested in learning more about a script like you mentioned for a clean OS install. What other things would you add to this script? Could you script the installation of the NIPM installer (https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/software-products/download.package-manager.html#322516) as part of this script?

Thanks.

- Aaron Peña

Message 3 of 7
(5,988 Views)

Yeah, the idea is to run a script with winget to install kind of a baseline on a machine. It would install utilities like notepad++ or 7-zip plus, of course, NIPM to install the most important part like e.g. TestStand or DAQmx (using CLI).

Script will install the latest utilities and NIPM, and e.g. particular version of TestStand (nipkg install "ni-teststand-2020-x86 20.0.0.49158-0+f6" I don't know if specifying version will work but it would be nice) using NIPM CLI.

This way instead of maintaining installers I could download all the necessary SW (in apropriate version) and have better configuration management. And of course environment automation.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,950 Views)

Another use case would be a "magic USB stick" 😁 with simple script for installing new machine baseline for colleagues responsible for machine assembly.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,896 Views)

Hi Aaron,

Do you know if NI's still looking at this?  NIPM through Winget might be a "first class" compliment to a gRPC server on Windows.

Thanks,

Steve K

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,209 Views)

https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Package-Management-Idea/Simplify-NI-software-install-by-using-winget/idi...

C'mon people, one day and it is done: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/package-manager/

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Message 7 of 7
(3,778 Views)