Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VLM API

Hello there,

I'm planning to write an application to monitor several test stations running TestStand (30+) and I was wondering if there is a way (API or something) to query the NI LVM for a list of stations with a registered license, both per station and per user.

Thanks for your help,

<<- N ->>

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(9,760 Views)

Hi N,

unfortunately, there is no exposed VLM API at this time, however you could query the options file nilm.opt, located in the VLM directory (default C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Volume License Manager\nilm.opt).  This file contains all of the assigned permissions and is ascii, so you could write a tool to parse through the entries and generate a list of users and computers with access to TestStand.

Message Edited by Al B on 04-14-2010 08:12 AM
Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(9,742 Views)

Hi Al,

Thanks for your response, I'll try doing that on my application. A follow up question, are there any plans to have an API in future releases (NI VM3.X)?

Thanks again,

<<- N ->>

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(9,723 Views)

Hi N,

I don't believe there are any plans for this unfortunately.  I would like to look into this a bit more, however - I'll let you know if I find anything else!

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(9,711 Views)

Has there been any movement to create an API in the latest versions of VLM?  This discussion is older so I thought I'd check.

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(7,053 Views)

Hi jigg,

Thanks for the question.  I would recommend starting a new forum post, as the followers of this post may no longer be active.  It doesn't look like there has been any movement towards introducing a VLM API to TestStand from NI's public documentation, but perhaps other community members would be able to provide more insight.

Andy G
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(7,038 Views)