From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI License Manager Hangs on Startup Querying Server

Hello,

I am in the process of building a new image from scratch and I just installed NI Academic Spring 2016.  I went into the license manager and added our server to the path.  Now, the license manager gets hung up querying the server for licenses and just sits there.  And sits there.  And sits there untill you kill the process.  It does the same thing on startup, too.  I can telnet to both the lmgrd and vendor ports and other machines on campus (built from different images) are working.  What do I need to do to get this working?

Thank you,

Nick

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(7,972 Views)

Can you give more information about the VLM server and its configuration?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,953 Views)

The symptom you mention seems a perfect fit for this KB:

Why Does NI License Manager Hang When Querying a Volume License Server?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/961F1DD35A2F891F86257694007449AE

Any luck with that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,944 Views)

No luck.  I don't have any LM license variables and adding that DNS suffix didn't help.  I'm using the FQDN to connect to the server anyway, so that shouldn't make a difference.  Like I said, I can telnet to the ports that the NI lmgrd and daemon are using, but for whatever reason the license manager still hangs when trying to connect to the server.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,933 Views)

Can other computers connect to the Volume License server fine?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(7,920 Views)

Yes then can.  For whatever reason, this new install is having issues.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(7,914 Views)

By new install do you mean the NI Academic Spring 2016 software you just received or is it part of the new image you are creating? Can you try installing the new software on any other client computers and replicate the behavior of this hang?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(7,880 Views)

By new install I mean I just installed it on this machine for the first time.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(7,876 Views)

Gotcha. Some other questions I have:

- Does this machine have the most up to date version of NI License Manager installed (3.7)?

- Any firewall or other application that might be blocking License Manager from connecting?

- Just as a sanity check but this Academic Site License does require VLM activation correct? Beacuse I know some Academic Site License software packages are activated through VLM and some are activated locally through standard activation procedures

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,842 Views)

Yes, the license manager is up to date.

The problem still exists when I turn off the Windows Firewall.

Our site license can be activated both via the VLM and locally, but I would prefer to do everything through the former since it is more centrally manageable.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(7,836 Views)