cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-488.2 driver v19.5 silent install mode not working

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello;

I tried to install NI-488.2 driver v19.5 silently but it doesn't work.

In the older versions, there was Setup.exe but the NI-488.2 driver v19.5 comes with Install.exe.

Silent install mode worked perfectly with the previous versions with this command:

Setup.exe  /q  /AcceptLicenses yes

I tried to do the same with the Install.exe that comes with NI-.488.2 v19.5 by running the command: 

Install.exe /q /AcceptLicenses yes

It doesn't work. I still get the window open.

I have searched the internet for a solution but couldn't find any so far.

Please how can i install the NI-488.2 driver v19.5 silently?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,113 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TOPTICA1

Are you using the latest NI Package Manager (NIPM) version?

I have seen some of my silent installations fail because they actually "work" but the installation tries to update NIPM and that does not happen silently.

If you notice that updating NIPM solves it, you can run a silent installation of the latest NIPM version before running your desired silent installation.

When I run into that, I create a batch file with both installations if this needs to be deployed to multiple targets. 

Message 2 of 9
(3,093 Views)
Solution

The arguments that a NIPM-based installer supports are different than pre 2019 installers, see Automating an Installer (https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/package-manager/page/automate-installer.html).

Scott Richardson
Message 3 of 9
(3,067 Views)

Thank you for the responses.

I managed to Install the Package Manager and NI488.2 Driver. I noticed that the NI-488.2 Driver have no entry in the registry anymore as it used to in the past with older versions.

The NI Package Manager does have entry in the register but no Uninstall String.

How can i get the Uninstall String for the NI Package Manager?

For the NI-488.2 Driver package and other NI Driver packages, Is it for sure that there are no more entries in the registry for them, or are there other ways to query the registry for them?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,934 Views)

There might be other ways to gather the information that you're looking for, and/or to perform the operations that you want.

Can you be more specific as to the workflow you're trying to solve with regards to looking in the registry and looking for uninstall strings?

There might be other ways to gather the information that you're looking for, and/or to perform the operations that you want

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,925 Views)

Right.

First (NI Package Manager):

I want to be able to Uninstall the NI packet Manager alone using a bat script. I found a command online which is:

"nipkg remove --force-essential --force-locked --yes". This commands Uninstalls the Packet manager alright but it removes all the other NI Softwares along.

This is not what i want. Therefore I checked the Windows Registry to find the NI Packet Manager entry to get the Uninstall string which i could use to Uninstall the NI Package Manager alone. I found the entry in the windows registry, but there wasn't an Uninstall String.

How can i Uninstall the package Manager alone without removing all other softwares and packages, Or how can i get the NI Package Manager Uninstall string.

Second (NI Drivers):

In the past with older versions, NI Drivers such as NI-488.2 after installation, you could find their entries in the windows registry. I couldn't find an entry for NI-488.2 driver v19.5 after installation. I usually used to check the windows registry to see if the correct version of the driver have been installed.

Why aren't there entries in the Windows Registry anymore for the newer versions of drivers such as NI-488.2 v19.5?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,908 Views)

Ignore

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,818 Views)
Solution

First (NI Package Manager):

The command you are doing is close to what you want, try adding the specific packages that should be removed:

"nipkg.exe remove --force-essential --force-locked --yes ni-package-manager ni-package-manager-deployment-support ni-package-manager-released-feed ni-package-manager-upgrade

Second (NI Drivers):

I am not sure what registries keys you previous looked at, but you should be able to look at the keys like the following for GPIB:

Scott_Richardson_3-1686338306504.png

You could also determine what package is installed and get its version using nipkg.exe:

c:\Program Files\National Instruments\NI Package Manager>nipkg.exe list-installed ni-488.2

and the output is something like this, which could be parsed:

ni-488.2 22.8.0.49269-0+f117 windows_x64 NI-488.2 provides ...

Scott Richardson
Message 8 of 9
(2,808 Views)

Thanks a lot. Got it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,727 Views)