From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation version while NIVLM is running fine

Solved!
Go to solution

NIVLM is running fine. Yet local version of Labview (starting today) report that NIVLM cannot be found. and so they start in evaluation mode.

Monitoring the license-server gives: requests make it to the license server (so no network problems/firewall and things like that). port 27000 (default) is used on workstation and license server.

any ideas?

grtz

Ruud Habets

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(8,897 Views)

Hi Ruud,

When you look in NI License Manager on the client machine, do you see the server here, or is there a red X through the server? Also, you said requests are making it to the server - do you see these from this specific machine or from other machines?

Here is a troubleshooting guide that may be helpful for you in diagnosing what is going on.  Please keep us updated of the results from this troubleshooting and of any new information that you find from the steps.  Be sure to not skip over any steps as they may yield important information.
Cheers,
Kelly R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(8,887 Views)

thanks for your reply, Kelly.

When I look at the local License Manager, there is no red cross through the name of the license server (or anywhere else for that matter). The Status is active. When I press F5 (refresh) the locallicense manager tries to contact the License Manger on the license server (I see those requests arriving at that server) but switchesto local license after 3 seconds. I can repeat these actions from any workstations, they are all the same.

I will look into the troubleshooting guide and report here back to you all.

thnx

Ruud

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(8,880 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ruud habets

To all,

It turns out, the Flexlm server was never started. LMTOOLS, however, never reported any errors while stopping or starting the server/service. The same is to say about the NIVLM manager (2.1.1 in my case), it stopped and started without questioning or error or anything ...

I know that this has been different in the past with previous versions.

When the FLEXLM  NI services (then, in the old days) was not started correctly, the NIVLM license would not start and I would know where to look for errors. This was not the case concerning my error. Today I looked into the FLEXLM debug log file an noticed an error because NI support asked me to, otherwise I would never thought about it. I noticed the error almost immediately: nilm.exe was not found.

so that was quickly solved!

thnx for assisting me.

ruud

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(8,876 Views)