Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic access to VLM licences

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the VLM in such a way that users/computers can dynamically access an licence once it is not being used?

E.g. We have 17 Labview base development licences and only 13 are being used at the moment. Can the VLM be set up so that a new user (whose details have previously been added to the VLM) can open and run Labview if a licence is free, rather than the administrator having to manually assign a licence to the new user/computer each time?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,768 Views)

tumbleweed

Intest, I'm wondering the same thing. 

Does anyone know if VLM can be used to assign spare licenses?

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,762 Views)

It's hard to get an answer on this but it looks like the 'group' function in the latest release of the VLM software (version 3) might allow a way to assign 'spare' licences.

Message 3 of 7
(8,760 Views)

Hi guys,

As I understand it, you want to have say 10 licences, assigned to 20 people. With the first 10 people able to log on, and start using the licences and getting access, and the following 10 being refused. Correct?

If so, when you purchase your licences from NI, you will need to ask for a concurrent licence, as appose to the non-concurrent licence that most people buy.

1 concurrent license will allow Bob to log on, use LabVIEW, log off, and then allow Jeff to log in and use the same Licence.

1 non concurrent licence will be brought, assigned to Bob, and allow Bob to use LabVIEW. However Jeff will be stuck, and LabVIEW-less Smiley Sad until the NIVLM manager changes the allocation from Bob to Jeff.

(In both these examples, Bob and Jeff can refer to the user or the PC)

Obviously the non-concurrent Licence has a greater price tag due its greater ease of use. But this is something that you will need to discuss with your sales representative when you are looking for a quote.

I hope this has answered your questions, but post back if you have any further queries.

Regards

Richard S
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
National Instruments UK&Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,753 Views)

@RLSSpeedy wrote:

Hi guys,

As I understand it, you want to have say 10 licences, assigned to 20 people. With the first 10 people able to log on, and start using the licences and getting access, and the following 10 being refused. Correct?

If so, when you purchase your licences from NI, you will need to ask for a concurrent licence, as appose to the non-concurrent licence that most people buy.

1 concurrent license will allow Bob to log on, use LabVIEW, log off, and then allow Jeff to log in and use the same Licence.

1 non concurrent licence will be brought, assigned to Bob, and allow Bob to use LabVIEW. However Jeff will be stuck, and LabVIEW-less Smiley Sad until the NIVLM manager changes the allocation from Bob to Jeff.

(In both these examples, Bob and Jeff can refer to the user or the PC)

Obviously the non-concurrent Licence has a greater price tag due its greater ease of use. But this is something that you will need to discuss with your sales representative when you are looking for a quote.

I hope this has answered your questions, but post back if you have any further queries.

Regards

Do you have this backwards?  It seems that the concurrent license is easier to use, not the non-concurrent one which requires someone to go in and make changes to the LVM.

Now if that justifies a greater price tag, is in the eye of the beholder, in the end only one user can use it at a time ...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,681 Views)

Concurrent licenses would suit our company much better but the price tag really kills it.

We have maybe 17-20 people who would benefit from having LabVIEW, but only 5 of us need access to it 24/7). So instead of having  5 regular and 5 concurrent licenses for example - with access for all of us, we have 10 regular licenses. 

The remaining 7-10 people end up not using LabVIEW much..as it is too cumbersome to "borrow" a seat. It would be better for the success of NI and LabVIEW if we could let all of them occationally work in LabVIEW.

Message 6 of 7
(7,504 Views)

@Mads wrote:

Concurrent licenses would suit our company much better but the price tag really kills it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Either with non-concurrent licenses we do keep on being pressured to swittch away from LabVIEW., the concurrent pricing would never be approved.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,500 Views)