Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can VLM disconnect a user-based license?

Solved!
Go to solution
Currently, we are using Computer-based licenses for our products.  For some of our users that work disconnected, we eat up two licenses.  So we're contemplating switching to a user-based license schema for some our products.  I've found some documentation detailing how to disconnect a computer (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6202245633CF18328625712B00095F2E) .  How does disconnecting a user work? Is there a tutorial on that?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(9,381 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard.Morgan

Hey Richard,

"Disconnecting Users" is definitely possible within NI VLM.  While it is a simple and straightforward process, there is an extra step involved, since it's not the human (user) that is disconnecting from the network, it's a machine (computer).  As such, you must effectively generate a new Computer entry in NI VLM (that will ultimately be disconnected), associate that Computer with a particular User's permission set, and then then disconnect the Computer.

The following KnowledgeBase article details this process.

If I have Named-User Licenses, How Do I Create a Disconnected License File in NI Volume License Mana...

If this rounds out your concernrs regarding migrating some or all of your licenses to be user-based, feel free to contact our contracts group to make the switch by emailing agreements at ni.com.

Message Edited by DRock on 05-22-2009 01:39 PM
Derrick S.
Product Manager
NI DIAdem
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(9,372 Views)