From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Volume License Manager and Automated Software Installation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use my license to run LabVIEW at work on a PC and at home on an iMac?

Solved!
Go to solution

I would like to be able to work on my LabVIEW projects at home to avoid a long commute, which appears to be permitted by the license (a single user license). However, my work computer is a Dell PC and my home one an iMac, and I've been told I need another license for the iMac which is very expensive. The license doesn't say both computers have to be the same type, and I'm fulfillng the terms of the license as I can't run both versions at the same time. Has anybody else had this problem, and, if so, how was it resolved.

TIA for any help.

(I hope this is the correct forum for this question, but I can't find one for a single user license)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,716 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LongTom

Hi LongTom, 

LabVIEW for Windows and LabVIEW for Mac are not just different licenses, the software is actually different. The architecture of the operating systems is different enough that the Windows copy of LabVIEW and the Mac copy have different software in them. 

But do not despair, there is a way around this. You can install a virtual Windows Machine on your Mac. This creates an environment on your Mac that is effectively a Windows environment. once You've done that you can install the software on your Virtual Machine and use it there. 

The license allows LabVIEW named users to install on 3 computers at work and one at home, so you're well within the license terms. 

Vsenior

Message 2 of 3
(6,708 Views)

Hi Vsenior,

thanks very much for your help and fast response.

I had hoped that, since the Macs seem to be getting more popular, there would be a more generic solution than using a virtual machine, but I'm sure it will do the job for me.

Best regards,

LongTom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,698 Views)