Vision Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
varga.sm

Intensity Profile

This is now available in Vision Builder AI2015 from the Measure Intensity step when using a Line/Broken Line, or Free Hand Line ROI profile. Thanks for the suggestion.

VBAI

Tool request:  Profile

Create an array to output the intensity profile for a line, path, or area (see Filter above).

This is currently available only as a display and manual export in the Vision Assistant mode but it cannot be used in any VBAI automated step.  The array is not available for export in an automated method.

9 Comments
Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Brad
Active Participant

I am looking into providing the array of pixel intensities along a line, broken polygon, or broken free hand (i.e. ROIs that do not form a bounding area). Would you also need the pixel coordinates as well as the intensities? For calibrated images, if we return pixel coordinates, we would also return calibrated coordinates. 

If you don't need the pixel coordinates, what is the use case?

Thanks,

Brad

varga.sm

Many cameras return the 3D height as a grayscale map.  The array of "intensities" for such images actually represent the shape of the 3D surface.  This data needs to be evalauted for statistics, limits, slopes, etc.   I think if you included the pixel coordinates, that would be nice but please make it as an optional check box so that we could keep it off when speed is a concern.

The 2nd use case is when using thermal cameras.  The "intensity" is typically 1 grayscale = 0.1 Kelvin or 1 grayscale =0.01 grayscale, etc.   When using thermal cameras, the profile gives surface temperature profile data which again needs to be evaluated with other statistical tools or singal analysis.

The pixel coordinates would only be really valuable if the ROI was dynamic; otherwise, it's a lot of redundant data.

Alex_Poeltl
Is there a solution by now for the "line profile"? I need the line profile as a function with high/low limits. The edge detection is not applicable for me.
Brad
Active Participant

The Measure Intensity step (on the fourth tab) already allows you to pass/fail based on the min or max intenisty along an ROI like a Line, so you should check out this step to see if it meets your needs. In Vision Builder AI 2015, we plan to update this step to return the array of intensity values along a line, broken line, or freehand line if the user chooses to include this extra information as results of the step. This would allow for further custom processing in the Array Operator step or Calculator step if needed.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: In Development

Alex_Poeltl
Is it possible to change the min or max intensity values in the "Measure Intensity step" dynamic by variables? I haven't found a way to do that.
Brad
Active Participant

There currently isn't a way to have dynamic conditions. You can use the Calculator step to get the result of Measure Intensity as well as other steps that define the min/max and compute a pass/fail here, but doing it in the Measure Instensity step is not currently possible. This would be a great suggestion for a seperate VBAI Idea post though.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed

This is now available in Vision Builder AI2015 from the Measure Intensity step when using a Line/Broken Line, or Free Hand Line ROI profile. Thanks for the suggestion.