From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Vision Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
nanocyte

IMAQ Find Circular Edge should return an array of circles

We already have a function like this and it's called "IMAQ Detect Shapes.vi". It's a polymorphic VI with circles as one of the types it supports. You specify the min and max radius to search for, a ROI, and edge settings, and it returns an array of circle reports with the center, radius, and a quality score. It's located in the Machine Vision palette>>Searching and Matching>>IMAQ Detect Shapes.

Hope this helps,

Brad

It would be nice to be able to get multiple circles out of IMAQ Find Circular Edge. For example, if I was interested in the smaller circle below, I could sort the results by size.

Find circular edge.png

4 Comments
Brad
Active Participant
Status changed to: Already Implemented

We already have a function like this and it's called "IMAQ Detect Shapes.vi". It's a polymorphic VI with circles as one of the types it supports. You specify the min and max radius to search for, a ROI, and edge settings, and it returns an array of circle reports with the center, radius, and a quality score. It's located in the Machine Vision palette>>Searching and Matching>>IMAQ Detect Shapes.

Hope this helps,

Brad

nanocyte
Active Participant

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about that function. I tested it out some and it seems quite different from Find Circular Edge and not really what I was trying to get at with the idea. As an example, Detect Shapes seems particularly poor at detecting shapes with breaks in them. Example:

circles2.png

Brad
Active Participant

Would it be possible for you to attach some sample images of the circles you're trying to detect? It would be helpful to see if a different algorithm might work, and we could also have our R&D team investigate this use case if an existing algorithm doesn't work well with it.

Thanks,

Brad

KEERTHBIO

Circle.PNGWhat is the algorithm of IMAQ Circular Edge, used by National Instruments for detecting the circles in an image. Can you please do share me the exact algorithm flow (i.e) the basic idea behind this block.