From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VirtualBench has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Cache is removed and FIPS is disabled.

I still crash when I click on the WIFI config icon.

I can use the app over blue to from laptop but I want to use from iPAD and my wifi setting have changed and iPAD can not find the virualbench any more.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(3,035 Views)

DavidMundie wrote:

Cache is removed and FIPS is disabled.

I still crash when I click on the WIFI config icon.

Previously, my understanding was that the application crashed on launch, not by clicking the WiFi icon. What else did I miss?

Would you attach the error log(s) from the cache folder?

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(3,032 Views)

Mine still crashes on launch and I can't disable FIPS because the network guys have that option disabled.  I still don't get why a network protocol is keeping the app from running over the USB connection.  I would get it if it crashed trying to find the device over wireless or even a wired network.  But a USB connected device crashing makes no sene.  You would think if it was trying to connect to the network to look for updates, it would just timeout and keep going.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(3,030 Views)

Morris118 wrote:

Mine still crashes on launch and I can't disable FIPS because the network guys have that option disabled.

Ouch, that's a show-stopper 😞 Until VirtualBench changes how its crash-watcher initializes, the application will always fail to start on any PC with FIPS enabled.

There is a bit of hope, though. Since your hands are tied with respect to FIPS, the good news is you can try using an older version of the application, before it started monitoring for crashes: VirtualBench 1.2.

I still don't get why a network protocol is keeping the app from running over the USB connection.

Because .NET uses FIPS for more than just networking:

Perhaps the biggest problems incurred by enabling FIPS mode involve applications that use the .NET Framework. If FIPS mode is enabled, the .NET Framework disallows the use of all non-validated cryptographic classes. The problem here is that the Framework offers multiple implementations of most algorithms, and not all of them have been submitted for validation, even though they are similar or identical to implementations that have been approved.

<snip>

Finally, the .NET Framework’s enforcement of FIPS mode cannot tell whether any particular use of a cryptographic class is not for security purposes and thus not in violation of standards.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(3,020 Views)

I think I may have jumped on another thread because no one responded after I send in error logs and got an email asking me if this solution helped me.

I need to change the wifi settings and it crashes when ever I click on the wifi icon.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(3,012 Views)

DavidMundie wrote:

I think I may have jumped on another thread because no one responded after I send in error logs and got an email asking me if this solution helped me.

Was it this thread?

Crash when click on wifi Icon :: https://forums.ni.com/t5/VirtualBench/Crash-when-click-on-wifi-Icon/m-p/3702578

Where did you send the error logs? I don't see them attached there.

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(3,007 Views)

@JoeFriedchicken wrote:

Morris118 wrote:

Mine still crashes on launch and I can't disable FIPS because the network guys have that option disabled.

Ouch, that's a show-stopper 😞 Until VirtualBench changes how its crash-watcher initializes, the application will always fail to start on any PC with FIPS enabled.

Thanks for your patience. We've fixed the FIPS crash by switching to a FIPS-compliant hash in the latest release. We also addressed the crash-watcher glitches on startup.

NI-VirtualBench Application and Driver 18.0

http://www.ni.com/download/virtualbench-driver-18.0/8140/en/

Joe Friedchicken
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Message 17 of 17
(2,060 Views)