From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VirtualBench

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VB-8012 support for current probe readings

Solved!
Go to solution

Does the VB-8012 support reading a current probe hooked to the o-scope BNC connector?

We have 10 of these benches set up for training and this unit has been superb for teaching the basics. I have a few labs I'd like to add that require a current probe, but based on my investigation, I doubt the GUI/hardware have support for this. But, in the case I am wrong (won't be the first time), I wanted to post this question on the forum to verify.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,354 Views)

ewilbur,

As long as the current probes are providing a simple voltage to the BNC connector that will work. I've done this before; you'll have to scale the readings yourself though.  This is relatively easy to do in LabVIEW but unless I am mistaken, the GUI does not currently support this feature.

----------------------------------------------------

Daniel Larsen

Digital Hardware Engineer

National Instruments

Message 2 of 8
(5,348 Views)

Thanks for the quick response. We aren't using LabView in the labs, so without GUI support (which is what I suspected), I don't think I can employ these new labs that require a current probe. This whole idea was a "nice to have" but not central to the learning. 

However, if there is someone out there that has found a back door via the GUI to use what the current probe provides on the scope channel, maybe there is still hope. But if I get a strong "NOPE", I will stop dreaming. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,344 Views)

ewilbur,

I just want to make sure it was clear that you can still see data coming from a current probe in the GUI, but it will show up as a signal in volts rather than automatically converting to amperes.

Daniel Larsen

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,328 Views)

Thanks Daniel. Is there an easy manual conversion a student could make from volts to amps? I know using LabView might make this easier, but given other constraints, we can't use the software even though I begged. If there is an easy translation by hand, that would help. The fact that the data at least shows up on the scope is encouraging.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,320 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ewilbur

ewilbur,

It depends on the current probes you are using, but in my experience it would just involve a multiply/divide.  Doing a quick search I found some current probes that have a 1 Volt/Amp output, so all a student would need to do with those is change the unit name, but there were some with less obvious conversion factors (2Volt/50Amp).  Some current probes also have different ranges which each have a different factor.

Daniel Larsen

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,316 Views)

Thank you Daniel. I appreciate the assistance. Yes, I could have tried my own current probe and figured that out IF I had the equipment at my work location. I travel to teach this class, so I wasn't able to just "try it and see" which would have taken less time.

Thanks a ton. It looks like it will work with a minor simple conversion.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,302 Views)

Try intellisens i2 100A probe, it has its own software to interface results directly on PC. 

https://www.taraztechnologies.com/products/intellisens-smart-pc-usb-probes/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,750 Views)