From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PXI-8461 CAN with VeriStand

Solved!
Go to solution

I have two CAN cards in my chassis: 8512 and a 8461.  The chassis has the latest NI-CAN driver installed and XI-NET 1.0.0.  I can see/access the 8512 with no issues.  I can't see/don't know how to configure the 8461 for use with VeriStand.  Under MAX, XI-NET does not list the 8461 but I do see it under PXI System - Chassis 1.  It won't, however, allow me to do anything with it from that point.  Any help is appreciated.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,576 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jay627

The 8461 is the Series 2 board, which can only be used with the NI-CAN driver (NI-XNET doesn't have any effect at this point).

To get started, launch in MAX the NI-CAN configuration tool by navigating to Tools -> NI-CAN -> RT Hardware Configuration.

Once you have set up the baud rate, termination, etc. etc. etc. go to System Explorer (SE), add a CAN Port and specify the baud rate according to the settings you have chosen in MAX. Afterward import incoming and outgoing frames and you are good to go...

Tom

Message 2 of 7
(7,575 Views)

Thanks!  Works great!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,571 Views)

Does it means that we have to abandon PXI-8461 if using NIVS?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,489 Views)

The PXI-8461 is a legacy board and it's been recommeneded that new applications should move to one of the XNET boards. NI VeriStand 2009 natively supported the legacy boards but starting with VeriStand 2010, we've been moving to the XNET boards.

~Olivia

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,476 Views)

Ok, I see. Thanks your helpSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,468 Views)

There is also an .ini token you can set to enable the legacy NI-CAN support in NI VeriStand 2010+.  See this thread for more info.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,455 Views)