From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Custom Files in Veristand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello All,

Haven't been able to find much documentation related to use of "Custom Files" in Veristand.  Would like to know of any examples of file types users have implemented.  Specifically, I would like to know if you can "call" certain file types from the models or custom devices (i.e. for configuration parameters or databases). 

Thanks much,

GSinMN  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,105 Views)

Hi GSinMN,

Do you have a specific type of file that you are interested in more information about?  You can find more information about many of the common file types that VeriStand uses in this VeriStand Help article.

Jayme W.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 6
(7,076 Views)

Good Morning Jayme,

Thanks for the response.  I was referring specifically to the section in Project Explorer that is called Custom Files, and looking for an example of an implementation that called a file in this section (if that is indeed the intended purpose of this section).  The only time I saw this specific section mentioned in the help files was to suggest storing documentation files here.  My original reason for inquiring about the Custom Files was because I was looking for alternate options to call C code that exists outside of a .dll file or .lvmodel (we have a rather complicated legacy software structure).

Thanks,

GSinMN   

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(7,054 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GSinMN

Howdy GSinMN,

There is a bit of documentation in the VeriStand Help that discusses Custom Files specifically.

Adding Custom Files

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/372846D-01/veristand/add_custom_files/

Although, the help doesn't quite reveal the full capabilities of this feature. There are two distinct use cases I have been able to identify for the Custom Files option in VeriStand. I will list them out in more detail and show you an example.

Making Files easily accessible to the Operator in the development environment.

When a file is added into the Custom Files section of the Project it will have its own icon in the project and will be included in the project dependencies. Having the file brought to view in the project is helpful if there is a troubleshooting image or specific document (calibration specs, steps for running a test, etc) that you would like your Operator to have access to. For example, in the example project I've included, there is a file added called "TestA1_PreTestSetup.txt". From the project (on the toolbar) the Operator has the option to "Open File" (to view it) or "Export..." to investigate its path on the operator machine.

openfiletest.PNG

Please note that the file is also now added to the dependencies of the project.

If you begin to investigate the file in the project and lets say you right-click on it and notice that there is a Properties option. You may notice that the Description for this file is empty. This can actually be populated being modifying the XML source of the .nivsproj. This also leads into the second use case for Custom Files.

Transferring files to the RT target which can be used by the VeriStand Engine.

If you were to investigate the .nivsproj XML you could first find the Custom Files section, and then the tags for the item you configured.

testA1XML.PNG

Here are the relevant tags and a break down,

<DependentFile> - This points to the source of the custom file. In this circumstance, I have added the file to the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI VeriStand 2011\Test Procedures" directory. It is able to resolve the the first component to "To Common Doc Dir" because this is the common directory for VeriStand, and then it appends the Test Procedures folder and name of the file that I created.

<Description> - Populating this tag gives us the ability to fill in the description information that occurs when we right click the file in the project.

<RTDestination> - Populating this tag gives you the ability to also send the File to the target upon deployment. Your VeriStand engine could then access this file during operation. As far as which types of files to use, the link in the post above should help guide that.

Please Note: Modifying the XML of the project gives you added customization and functionality to your project but these modifications should not be done heedlessly. Incorrectly modifying the tags in the XML file can lead to improper performance and outcomes. So tread carefully and make only minor changes at a time.

I hope this helps. Have a great day, GSinMN

Tim A.
Download All
Message 4 of 6
(6,999 Views)

Thanks Tim, excellent example of implementation.  Just what I was looking for.  Still open to other examples if anyone has any.  Thanks.

GSinMN

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,984 Views)

I just created a new KB to help answer this question. Unfortunately this method has become depreciated so we now recommend adding the dependencies with a action VI for a custom device or using a depvs file for a model. The KB #6MOG8HJQ and it should be up in the next few days. Automatically Deploy Dependencies to a System in VeriStand.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,206 Views)