From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent, but Persistent ERR_INVALIDDEVICEINDEX Error on VeriStand Workspace

I have a VeriStand 2011 (not SP1) system that sometimes presents error -2000000008 ERR_INVALIDDEVICEINDEX on the Workspace.

Error Image.png

If OK is pressed, the error immediately comes back up and will not go away until I kill VeriStand.exe from the Task Manager (the error dialog is of course modal).

Is there anything in the VeriStand code for the Workspace that could be creating this error?

There is some custom code in this VeriStand system, but the RT is perfectly happy (from the console output), I am not using the initDevice.vi anywhere, there are no ActiveX calls in the custom code, and I have disabled most of the host side custom devices (very simple) with no change.

The difficult thing is that this is obviously being thrown by the VeriStand.exe process (as proven by both the glyph and Process Explorer) but I cannot consistently reproduce the error with any System Defintion file found to date.

The host computer is running Windows 7, with .NET 4.0, but I have confirmed that all .NET 3.5 features are enabled.

Thought?

Thanks,

Chris
Project Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,118 Views)

Hey Chris!

This is definitely a strange one... Immediately my thought is to attach the VeriStand.exe to Windbg and what more detailed information we can get on this thrown exception.

Obtaining a WinDbg Dump File to Troubleshoot Crashes in National Instruments Software

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/D12F9263065435DA8625784F006ECFD4?OpenDocument

Are you using any custom workspace objects?

I know you mentioned that it shows up sometimes, but can you expand a bit more on the occurrence? Is it reproducible on the order of days, weeks?

Aside from a previous service request you opened, there is little troubleshooting information I can find on this error. However, I want to make sure we are troubleshooting this as thoroughly and quickly as possible. I will continue investigating and see if I can figure out anything else. In the mean time, please try to obtain a dump from Windbg after you run into the error.

Tim A.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,098 Views)

Tim,

We'll try the WinDbg and get back to you.

Thanks,

Chris
Project Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,091 Views)

Hello Chris,

I realize your post is over a year old but I was curious if you were able to find the root cause of this error.

We are experiencing the same issue.

Thanks,

Damien

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,506 Views)

Damien,

After working with an applications engineer, I believe that it was tracked to a Windows bug that VeriStand was not handling properly.  I think there is a VeriStand fix available directly from NI if requested that simply suppresses the error, but don't quote me on that Smiley Wink

I would recommend contacting NI in regards to this error.

Chris
Project Engineer
Message 5 of 5
(5,500 Views)