VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I measure pulse width in VeriStand 2010?

I'm using an NI PXI-6229 M Series DAQ.

I the channel set up in System Explorer and I have my input signal routed to the Gate of Counter 0.  When I deploy and open the Workspace the measurement says 0 seconds although an oscilloscope shows a 7ms square wave at the terminal.

I think the problem may be that I don't have a timebase applied to the Source of Counter 0.  How do I put an internal timebase on the Source?  I would prefer to do so without changing any VIs and I definitely don't want to add an external frequency generator to my setup.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,478 Views)

I think that the gate terminal cannot be used in that case. You might want to try to connect the external signal to the input terminal of the counter.

Once you have rewired the external connection you will notice, that NI VeriStand might not update the frequency that often. NI VeriStand doesn't measure the frequency/period by using a frequency task. We have used a simple edge counting task that takes the upper and lower limit of the frequency to determine the update rate of the frequency value. The more accuarate the settings are, the higher is the update rate. In order to get a feasible update rate, increment the lower limit to a value that will never be below the real minimum frequency of the external signal and set the upper value to the maximum expected frequency.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,475 Views)

I applied the signal to the Source terminal and now I can measure period/frequency.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,450 Views)