VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Logging workspace control enable

Hi

I have an question on enabling the Data Logging workspace control programmatically or by a user channel. I see that the capability of triggering exsits but couldnt find the enabling feature..

I would like to use the workspace object because it allows time stamp capturing in actual time format and not ms(embedded data logger).It would save the big overhead of converting it to actual time.

How do I achieve enabling it?? I can also use the feature of it enabled by default as an alternative since it would be preconfigured before deployment.

Ashm01

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(6,388 Views)

Do you mean that you want to programmatically start a log that was configured in a data logging workspace control rather than having to click the Start Logging button?

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(6,379 Views)
Yes that is the intent.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(6,371 Views)

There is no programmatic interface to the workspace logging control. You have to click Start Logging to get it to start.

One idea that you could consider would be to navigate to the Start Trigger section and configure a start trigger for the log and then click the Retriggerable checkbox. Finally, on the Segmenting section select to Segment Files on Trigger. This will create a new file instance each time the logging session is waiting on a trigger and the start trigger condition occurs.

Then leave you would just need to start logging at the very beginning and leave it running indefinitely. After that, the log session will be somewhat controlled by the start trigger condition (and stop trigger condition if you specify one).

Some downsides of this approach:

1. The history dialog doesn't show the log files generated until the whole log session stops. You can find and inspect your files on disk, but the history dialog won't help you find them while the log is running.

2. Any post-processing won't occur until the whole log session stops.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(6,350 Views)

It would be pretty nice to have that functionality exposed in future versions. It is inconvenient for now to toggle it manually.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(6,338 Views)
Could you describe a little more what type of programmatic interface you'd like to see? How would you control the log? Through channel values from the engine? A LabVIEW VI running on the host? A TestStand script or something?
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(6,332 Views)
Or do you just want the log to be enabled as soon as the workspace opens?
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(6,331 Views)
Yes, I am open to that option . I can enable the triggers when the logging needs to commence. How can I set this by default?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,324 Views)

Hi,

Is enabling the logging by default an option? How can I enable it?

Ash

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(6,280 Views)
There isn't an option currently to enable the log by default. That is good feedback we will keep in mind for a future version.

You may be interested to know that the logging functionality exposed by the workspace logging control, including the use of true time channels, is exposed by an API you can use in LabVIEW to create a custom control, workspace tool or service. There are some examples I can point you to if this interests you.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(6,270 Views)