VeriStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create Custom Devices with LabWindows instead of LabVIEW?

Can I create Custom Devices with LabWindows instead of LabVIEW?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,428 Views)

Not entirely.  VeriStand's Custom Device plugin interface consists of specially named and typed controls and indicators on the front panel of custom device VIs.  See the Custom Device Framework section of this document for more information.  There is no public interface for ANSI C.

Custom devices often contain C code to support hardware or other IP.  If the C code does not have an API, you'll use the Call Library Function Node to call its functions from within the custom device VIs.

You can submit your request to the VeriStand idea exchange.

Steve K

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(5,421 Views)

You might also look into the VeriStand Model Framework, which allows you to create custom models using C code. Both models and custom devices allow you to execute custom code directly in the VeriStand Engine. One big difference between models and custom devices, however, is that custom devices support a rich library for allowing the user to supply configuration options in System Explorer. Models generally only have parameter values and default input values for their configuration.

I am not sure, however, how well CVI will integrate with the VeriStand Model Framework. It should work fine on Windows, but I don't know much about deploying a CVI DLL to a real-time target.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 3 of 3
(5,381 Views)