VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxipc-650 and vmepc-650 freezing on bios

I have (2) units doing the same thing. We havent used them in a long while, so nothing has change recently. I dont know why they are doing this, but...

Both units will boot up, however, they freeze right after the hard drive is detected. I have replaced the hard drives on both units and they both still do the same thing.

I have reset the CMOS via W20.

Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone seen this before? What do I do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,399 Views)

Hi,

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by after the hard drive is detected, it sounds like both devices are freezing while still in the BIOS.

Also, how long were these controllers sitting idle? Electrical component will degrade over time. Can you boot off of floppy or external drive?

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,387 Views)

Bios detects the hard drive and listed it in white text on a black background (normal bios looking boot up screen). I only mention that because that is the last thing that happens with these two units on boot up.

i dont see a bios upgrade for the vxipc650 or vmepc-650 on the ftp site (ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/vxi/). would these files be anywhere else? can someone email them to me?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,376 Views)

You mentioned that these devices were sitting idles for “a long time”, how long was this? Another thing that can cause behavior like this is bad RAM. Can you try new RAM? Let’s try that before you reflash your BIOS.

Matt
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,369 Views)

they have been sitting for about a year.

i will try the ram and let you know

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,366 Views)