VXI and VME

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

silent uninstall of visa 1.1

I am trying to automatically update multiple remotely located systems from VISA versions as old as 1.1 to version 2.6. So far I have accomplished a silent install of both the Windows Installer and VISA 2.6. The version 2.6 readme.txt file indicates that I should uninstall VISA versions prior to 2.0.1 before installing VISA 2.6. I need to know how to perform a silent uninstall of visa 1.1.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,645 Views)
Prior to NI-VISA 2.0.1, our installers were non-MSI based. Once our VISA driver switched over to an MSI based installer, silent uninstallers were added for previous versions that were also MSI based. For versions before 2.0.1, the uninstallation process must be initiated from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,645 Views)
Ok then . . . I have installed version 2.6 without uninstalling 1.1 and so far, my apps seem to be working. Do you know of any issues that I may encounter by following this process? The readme.txt file for version 2.6 just says it is strongly recommended to uninstall versions prior to 2.0.1.

The manual uninstall is a problem for me because my VXI PCs are embedded and do not have a user interface.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,645 Views)
You are welcome to set your systems up however you like, but setting them up with 2 versions of NI-VISA present will definitely be against our recommendations. You may be able to use the systems fine in this state, but our experience with systems that contain overlapping drivers is not good. It is impossible for me to speculate what exactly will go wrong due to the variety of problems caused by this state, but typically our customers are not successful using this setup.

Ryan Tamblin
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,645 Views)
So I guess what your saying is that I need to write my own silent uninstall routine for your VISA 1.1

Could you provide me with a list of changes made during installation of VISA 1.1?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,645 Views)